1. Prospero

Prospero Registered User

Sep 17, 2017
    My Wife has had Vascular/mixed dementia for many years and is now unable do very much for herself.
    She does not seem to have one normal bowel movement, but every time she urinates, she sits there until she has a small bowel movement. Occasionally she forget to use paper and gets faeces on her fingers which she then wipes on the towel before washing ! Her underclothes then are also seriously contaminated to the extent that I have to hand wash them (and the towel) before putting in the washing machine.
    She is unable to remember anything for more than 10 seconds so it is pointless saying anything to her.
    Any suggestions?

2. Tin

Tin Registered User

May 18, 2014
    UK
    It is really hard I know, but it does sound like the time has come to accompany your wife and assist her or even clean her. For a while I was able to just instruct my mum on what to do. Wipes are good for this particular chore, but remember they do not flush, so do not hand one to your wife as she will automatically drop it into the toilet, I have a small bin next to toilet for disposal of these. It will ease all that extra laundry you are doing. Initially I did not think I could do this, but it was amazing how quickly I got used to doing this particular chore and in the end it came down to the choice of cleaning the area or staying with mum and cleaning her immediately.

3. MERENAME

MERENAME Registered User

Jun 4, 2013
    scotland
    You can also buy moist toilet paper that is flushable. More expensive than wipes but useful whilst adapting.

4. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    "You can also buy moist toilet paper that is flushable"

Flushable only means what it says, it will vanish down the toilet, it says nothing about how long it will take to biodegrade and whether or not it could cause a blockage.

Have a look at United Utilities (water undertaking in the north west) opinion.

https://youtu.be/_sUovTFMGDY