Proof of identity

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
My husband has dementia (MMSE less than 5). Our car is on its last legs and I need to replace it. Present car is in his name so I think replacement should be too. I am told by Ford there is no problem with the finance being in his name and the car registered to him but they require proof of ID for the finance in the form of valid photo driving licence which he does not have as had to stop driving years ago or valid passport which ran out three months back and I did not spend £75 to renew as he can no longer travel abroad. Has anyone else persuaded them to accept anything else?
Tre

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
lots of people don't have licences or passports so you need to ask them what else they will take as ID

All the best xx

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
My husband has dementia (MMSE less than 5). Our car is on its last legs and I need to replace it. Present car is in his name so I think replacement should be too. I am told by Ford there is no problem with the finance being in his name and the car registered to him but they require proof of ID for the finance in the form of valid photo driving licence which he does not have as had to stop driving years ago or valid passport which ran out three months back and I did not spend £75 to renew as he can no longer travel abroad. Has anyone else persuaded them to accept anything else?
Tre

The dealers won't walk away from a deal just for the ID. Go back to them and see what they suggest.

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
lots of people don't have licences ....

Very true for almost everything else - except when buying a car :D Having said that there are probably some people who don't yet have the photo version of a driving licence so they should be able to come up with some solution.

Would they accept the expired passport plus something like a council tax bill? Valid bus pass with photo? Pension statement? Some other bill in his name?

Good luck.

Wirralson

Account Closed
May 30, 2012
Tre

Form a legal and insurance perspective, as well as a power of attorney/deputyship one I would have thought it is not a good idea for a large-value depreciating asset to be held in the name of a person with an MMSE of less than 5 and presumably no legal capacity.

Wirralson

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
As I understand it driving licenses have to be renewed every 10 years so everyone who drives should have a photo license.
Doesn't help you as husband doesn't drive.
Finance companies usually need proof of residence, I would think utility bills but in your husband's name and recent bank statements will do.

Enjoy the new car. x

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
As I understand it driving licenses have to be renewed every 10 years so everyone who drives should have a photo license.

I still have a paper licence from 1986 and no one has asked me to renew it yet :confused:

To the OP, would it not be easier to have the car in your name anyway?

mrjelly

Jul 23, 2012
West Sussex
My husband has dementia (MMSE less than 5). Our car is on its last legs and I need to replace it. Present car is in his name so I think replacement should be too. Tre

I can understand how having the car and finance in your husbands name would respect his role in your life. I just wonder if it could cause practical problems in future, if you need to have official business about it or you wanted to sell it.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think mrjelly and wirralson have raised very important points. I simply can't see that putting the car in your husbands name would be a good idea from a practical point of view.

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
I still have a paper licence from 1986 and no one has asked me to renew it yet :confused:

To the OP, would it not be easier to have the car in your name anyway?

I've got the old paper licence without a photo, and I've not been asked to renew mine either. I suppose companies work on the assumption that everyone has the photo ID driving licences nowadays - but we don't, do we?

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
The new photo licences do need renewing every 10 years - I assume so that DVLA think our mug shots look vaguely like us :p

The old paper only licences didn't need renewing unless you moved house or had to update them for something else. As far as I know that hasn't changed. So if you don't move or something similar and still have a paper licence it will only need 'converted' to the photo version when it needs renewing at age 70 (much to my Mum & Dad's disgust when they had to do it).

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Just looked it up, if you have an old license and your details haven't changed you will have to apply for a new one on your 70th birthday.
If you have a change of address or such, I think a new photo license is required.
That has to be renewed every 10 years, until you are 70.

Apparently we don't change facially after 70. :/

Here is a gov. leaflet...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...jR-g5vme7g7lAXxDA&sig2=9bh1r_eJUmV3GrbaCBmiKA

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
As current car is in his name if I use his assets to buy a car in my name then would it not be deprivation of assets. Cost will be around £7,000. Current vehicle and insurance policy are all in his name but insurers are OK with his being a non driver and me being the main driver
Tre

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I had my paper licence in the early 70s. It was renewed and replaced by a photo licence when I reached 70 and will have to be renewed every 3 years from that age onwards.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Soss ITBookworm, I was so busy skootling around Google I repeated your post.

I think I read you don't have to renew the photo Saffie, so it's saves one the embarrassment of those awful cubicles. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdDe3CXMajA

Tre, I think that's a valid point.
I'm sure the dealership will help you.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Gwen I love that advert! Gregor Fisher starred in Dundee Rep many years ago - before he became Rab Nesbitt and Hamlet cigar man!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...As current car is in his name if I use his assets to buy a car in my name then would it not be deprivation of assets...."

The V5C registration document does not indicate the owner of the vehicle it records the 'registered keeper'. You can record the car as his property but have yourself as 'registered keeper'.

Pennie

Jun 16, 2013
Somerset
I've got the old paper licence without a photo, and I've not been asked to renew mine either. I suppose companies work on the assumption that everyone has the photo ID driving licences nowadays - but we don't, do we?

Nope, we don't :D

Just read further posts and have discovered that because I haven't moved in years and years and nowhere near reaching 70 I should be able to hang on to my paper licence in its very worn out plastic jacket for some while yet - goody :D:D

Last edited:

Wirralson

Account Closed
May 30, 2012
"...As current car is in his name if I use his assets to buy a car in my name then would it not be deprivation of assets...."

The V5C registration document does not indicate the owner of the vehicle it records the 'registered keeper'. You can record the car as his property but have yourself as 'registered keeper'.

The above is correct, but you may need to be able to prove ownership with separate documentation. Also purchasing a car for you to use transporting him may be permissible, but I'd take legal advice.

In fact, you may have the deprivation of assets issue even if the car is in his name. and you use his money. He can't drive it so in buying it, you're using his assets to buy something he can't directly use. I'm also unclear how he's going to buy the car with an MMSE of 5 or below. Do you have PoA? Whose money is paying? His? Yours? You mention finance, so presumably borrowing will fund all or part of it. So why are you putting it in his name? If you are not using his capital, I simply do understand why you are giving yourself the additional complication of placing the car in your husband's name. It could also make the vehicle difficult to sell on.

Wirralson

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
I think sometimes we can get too enmeshed in the words of Law.
Buying a car as a spouse, to use for your spouse and yourself will NOT be looked at unfavourably.
Common sense has a part to play in law, thank goodness.

Although, in retrospect, I do think it's not actually a contract if someone has been shown to lack capacity to sign a contract, so therefore the finance company might jib.

It is the same common sense that would protect my Mam if she signed a contract to buy new double glazing....what would protect her from such a contract, could potentially debar your husband.

Perhaps you should apply to buy the car in your name Tre and as it would be a viable purchase, any questions asked can be defended honestly?

The hoops you have to jump through. x