Proof of identity

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
I was recently asked to supply photographic proof of identity for my OH and myself.
OH no longer has a driving license and mine is the old green paper one which I guess will be upgraded to photographic when I turn 70 ( not for a few years yet!)
Luckily we both still have a passport but they expire next year and given our circumstances we have not ventured abroad for several years and have no plans to do so, therefore they will not be renewed.
My question is what do you use for ID then?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
As I think you found out expired passports are OK.
Failing that a bus pass?
Who demanded photographic proof ?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
You can get a Citizen card. Search online for 'get a photo ID card.'

I'll probably need one sooner or later - expired passport and no DL. My daughter also got one a few years ago because she couldn't get served in pubs. She's 25 now but still only looks about 15... :rolleyes::)

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
As I think you found out expired passports are OK.
Failing that a bus pass?
Who demanded photographic proof ?
It was the solicitor who I had asked to do certified copies of Lasting Power of Attorney

Vic10

Feb 18, 2017
You can get a Citizen card. Search online for 'get a photo ID card.'

I'll probably need one sooner or later - expired passport and no DL. My daughter also got one a few years ago because she couldn't get served in pubs. She's 25 now but still only looks about 15... :rolleyes::)
Thanks, will look into that.....oh to look 15!!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It was the solicitor who I had asked to do certified copies of Lasting Power of Attorney

Don't fully understand
  • Could you please make certified copies of these documents?
  • Sure that will be £x. - OK pay the money
  • Only if you prove who you are and then £x
  • Why does it matter who you are, you are in position of the documents, you can use either the original or a certified copy.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
When I asked a solicitor to certify POA copies for me,several in fact, I was never asked for my ID. We had done our own online, he hadn't even met me before

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Why does it matter who you are, you are in position of the documents, you can use either the original or a certified copy.

Technically solicitors (and accountants) have to verify everyone they act for under the money laundering rules.

This certainly didn't happen when I got POA certified, although later on I had to get passports certified, which was done in person rather than leaving document and returning. Still charged not very much, but had a nice cosy chat.