Prolonging life, or holding death off?

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
I do not think you should 'fight' over this especially as at the end it will be the medics who take action (or not as the case may be). So please don't allow an unnecessary family rift which I am sure your Mother would hate.

During the last stages I requested that my husband be kept comfortable and painfree and not hospitalised; the doctors agreed with me. It could be that your Father will take the same line when the time comes.

Best wishes

But in certain situations family are often asked (and IMO should be) - although I know some medics do try to insist on treatments relatives don't want. Friend of mine was forced to argue with hosp. staff about a feeding tube they had stuck down her mother's throat -she was in her 90s, refusing food and drink and drifting away quite peacefully until then. As she said, you really don't need such arguments at such a time, and what had possessed them to think it was a good idea, or at all kind in the circs., was beyond her.

Though I guess it often comes down to NHS staff being terrified of being sued for neglect if they fail to do something that could keep someone even with a very poor quality of life going just a little bit longer.