Progression

Gordon9

Dec 15, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hi Everyone,

As a newly diagnosed sufferer my first question was how quickly will things get worse. my doctor and neurologist both said the same thing . " Its Diffrent for Everyone" so they dont like to put timescales on disease progression. I can accept that but i am sure that given that we live in a world where so many people earn a living compiling statistics there must be some figures regarding average time spent in the various phases of Dementia. All i have been told so far is that i will probably live another 10years or so. As a young sufferer (i am 60) it would be nice if i had a rough idea even if only as an aid to plan ahead.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or better still some average timescale spent in the various stages.

Thanks and Best Wishes to you all,

Gordon9

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
fact sheets

Gordon9.
You may find some answers in the factsheets,they are very helpful with most questions people have.

Welcome to TP you will find lots of support here.

Cynron

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
HI GORDEN you will find by reading the posts here , that it really is a case of everyone being different , my husband suffered for 8 yrs only declining mentaly in the last two , where a very close friend of mine ,still appears in the early stages after twelve years , we were told anything between five and twenty ,so very best wishes to you , stay strong . ANGELA

icare2

Jun 18, 2006
scotland
Hi Gordon

Hello,the fact that you are aware of it must be a very good sign,I am curious to who diagnosed you with it,as you seem very positive,also what type of Dementia have you been told it is?as this is very important to your treatment,anyway all best wishes ..

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Gordon

Hi Gordon9,
I can appreciate your concern as I am in the same position, but I think it is better to try to live life as it comes. It is I feel bad enough having the disease without trying to work out when the worst parts are going to start or how long it will take. I am 60 this year and after being diagnosed in 2003, I thought everthing was coming to a swift end, but after meeting other people at the Society events, I found people whose lives had changed, but they had also changed the way they thought about the disease. The society has many events and programmes for those under 65, called Younger People with Dementia and this is well worth looking into.
I also got involved with our local branch and I can tell you I have never looked back.
I was also lucky to be given medication which helped me so much it was amazing, but there again it affects different people in different ways.

As you say we are all different and we look at things different ways, but I think we have to be as positive as we can, for our loved ones as well as ourselves.

Best Wishes

kenc