Product advice

jeanmr

Nov 21, 2008
I have a website selling aids for the disabled, handicapped and the elderly and would like to offer more specific products for those with Alzheimers - could anyone make suggestions of products that they have found make life easier pleae? thanks.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I imagine that this is NOT what you're talking about but I do know that it is impossible to purchase in the UK clothes designed to stop people undressing. They are available in the USA (although from what I've heard, not particularly robust) but nothing in the UK.

Other things we often are asked about are clocks with day/date/time which are large and clear, locking pill boxes, products to remove smells from laundry, methods of protecting beds etc from "accidents", movement alarms and door alarms.
t

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
hi jean,

I met a chap at a dementia conference who runs a website for accessibility aides for dementia. His site is totally non-profit - I could put you in touch with him if you are on the same wavelength. Send me a PM if you'd like more information.

The list of products/aids being made available is growing all the time so it is a great idea. One of the interesting things I saw recently was a cooker that turns itself off after a 20 minutes, it could also be protected with a code so only people who care of visit could operate the cooker.

Kind Regards
Craig

jeanmr

Nov 21, 2008
Products

Many thanks for the advice - i will try and source the clothes from the USA, and the large easy visibility clocks. - we already do quite a range of pill boxes but will check to see if there is one which ha a lock on it. protective bedding is covered,(oops,. pun, sorry) but I had not thought of door alarms!

I would be interested to talk to the gentleman who has the site for dementia patients.

Thanks again, I would like our "shop" to have everything that people might need to help with their various difficulties!.

JeanD

Sep 16, 2008
Lincolnshire
We are beyond this stage now, but one thing I heard of and never managed to track down was a telephone which you could put photos on the quick dial buttons, so that you just press the picture of the person and it dials them. When dad was in the early stages he had major problems with the phone, so that when he was home alone he could not ring us for a chat.

Also key tags with a biggish place to put a picture or words, but which are not too easy to remove Dad was always swapping the tags over, so that no key would open what it said it would. (He was trying to foil intruders, but more often foiled us !).

Clive

Nov 7, 2004
My main problem with mum was that she would either not put the phone hand set back or would put it back wrong way round… so it would seem to be engaged when I tried to ring her. I needed a phone that would reset itself if no one talked for 5 minutes.

Also in this modern age I would have liked to have had a broadband connection to mum’s house with CCTV cameras so that I could check that everything was OK. Sometimes mum would forget what the phone ringing noise meant and would not answer the phone. It would have been great if I could have checked that she had not fallen..

Clive