Problems with uti's

Tuddily

Mar 25, 2020
I am new to this group and I have read many of the concerns about uti and their cause for deteriation.
In 2017 my newly diagnosed mum with alziemers had many uti's throughout the year mainly because she forgot to drink. They knocked her completely of her feet causing many falls. After several falls and stays in hospital she finally moved to a care home. My mum's mobility had deteriatied,she slept most of the time and her weight plummeted. Once in the home things improved. She had constant company, she slept less, her eating and drinking was monitored, she gained weight and her problems with uti's began to cease. Sadly two weeks ago my mum's mobility suffered a relapse and she was admitted to hospital overnight with a uti. She was sent home with antibiotics and sadly her mobility has really suffered this time. I am finding it really difficult as I cannot visit the home as it is on lockdown. The home have set up a Skype connection which I have used three times. Today was horrible. My mum couldn't see me on the screen where I was clearly pictured. She panicked really got upset and cried not surprisingly as her mother went blind suddenly with glocoma. She could see everything around her but not me. I have spoke to the home about the incident and a doctor over the phone has put it down to a decline in her health. There is also the issue that she has a black eye due to an incident in the home. Her mobility is bad She is not walking and needs assistance to stand and go to the toilet which she didn't need before. I am at my wits end because I cannot be with her in the present climate and I fear I am going to lose her without being able to say goodbye. Sorry if this is too long but I just need to talk to someone who understands.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome to the forum @Tuddily.

The current crisis is causing a lot of sad situations. I hope you get to visit your mum sooner rather than later.

You are correct when you say that people here will understand so please keep posting for support.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Tuddily and welcome from me too.
UTIs cause so many problems in dementia and can often progress the dementia, unfortunately. I can understand your fears, but many homes will make an exception to visiting at End of Life - though, TBH, even though your mums dementia sounds quite advanced now, she doesnt sound anywhere near End of Life. Im sure you will be able to go back to visiting her once this pandemic is over.
xx

Tuddily

Mar 25, 2020
Thankyou for your support. My daughter has helped too as she pointed out on the phone last night. Her thoughts are to give her time to get better. In the past we have watched her pull back from what have been thought to be declines. The thing which is new was her being unable to register my image on the screen.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has experience of this happening.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The thing which is new was her being unable to register my image on the screen.
Does she have similar problems seeing people in real life? ie, is it the same when she looks at the carers, or a book, or her plate - she can see things around it , but not what she is looking at? If its like that all the time, then its probably macular degeneration, which is very common in the elderly. If its only happening when she is trying to view the Skype screen, then its more likely a problem with her brain not processing the images properly, so that she cant see it as a face and it appears to disappear.

Tuddily

Mar 25, 2020
It happened for the first time yesterday. Prior skype sessions have been fine. As I cannot see her at the moment and the fact she got really upset it was difficult to establish what she was seeing at first, When she was asked if she could see the member of staff with her she could and also furniture in the room. So I feel your latter suggestion correct.
The only other explanation or thoughts that her very black eye could be causing problems. Since her uti 2 week ago and the incident 2 days after leaving hospital where another resident tried to get her out of bed in the early hours of the morning which resulted in her black eye she has deteriated rapidly. She is 90 in July and up until now she has done really well. She still knows us all, has a great sense of humour, was continent through the day and was always chatting to the residents and staff keeping them on their toes. The way she is now is a massive decline,

Tuddily

Mar 25, 2020
Does she have similar problems seeing people in real life? ie, is it the same when she looks at the carers, or a book, or her plate - she can see things around it , but not what she is looking at? If its like that all the time, then its probably macular degeneration, which is very common in the elderly. If its only happening when she is trying to view the Skype screen, then its more likely a problem with her brain not processing the images properly, so that she cant see it as a face and it appears to disappear.
Just wanted to let you know that I have just finished a Skype call with my mum and that today she could see me. She kept asking if we had put a new picture on. She was a little better at holding a conversation today too but her walking is still poor. However the fact she could see me was such a relief. Little steps!!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976