• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Problems with skin on mums face

Juanita123

Mar 21, 2019
Looking for some advice for my mum please, some time ago mums face went very red (not sunburn) and the whole of her face peeled, a couple of days ago the same has happened again, not sure of the cause and neither is my father, is it a symptom of dementia or is it something she is putting on her face, the only other possibility I can think of is a heater panel which is cited on the wall above her bed, is the skin more delicate with her condition? She used to take very good care of her skin using Nivea, she still has this,but I dont know if she uses it, she packs all her personal belongings into carrier bags every day which makes it that bit harder to keep an eye on her. My dad who is 89 years old struggles to take of all her needs, I try the best I can but I don't live with her so difficult, would love to hear from anyone else who has some knowledge on this, thank you

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
This sounds exactly like my mum... it turned out she was putting shampoo on her face at night, convinced it was face cream. I now have to regularly patrol and hide certain toiletries, as mum can't be trusted to use the correct products.

Although people with dementia are notorious for hiding things, and my mum tries to hide certain toiletries from me. Does your mum have a makeup bag? Would be a good idea to search it if she does. But to me, it sadly sounds like your mum has started to get confused about toiletries.

Cat27

Volunteer Moderator
Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Looking for some advice for my mum please, some time ago mums face went very red (not sunburn) and the whole of her face peeled, a couple of days ago the same has happened again, not sure of the cause and neither is my father, is it a symptom of dementia or is it something she is putting on her face, the only other possibility I can think of is a heater panel which is cited on the wall above her bed, is the skin more delicate with her condition? She used to take very good care of her skin using Nivea, she still has this,but I dont know if she uses it, she packs all her personal belongings into carrier bags every day which makes it that bit harder to keep an eye on her. My dad who is 89 years old struggles to take of all her needs, I try the best I can but I don't live with her so difficult, would love to hear from anyone else who has some knowledge on this, thank you
Welcome to DTP @Juanita123
Like @nick97 I suspect you’re mum is putting something on her face that she thinks is cream.
Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Juanita123

Mar 21, 2019
This sounds exactly like my mum... it turned out she was putting shampoo on her face at night, convinced it was face cream. I now have to regularly patrol and hide certain toiletries, as mum can't be trusted to use the correct products.

Although people with dementia are notorious for hiding things, and my mum tries to hide certain toiletries from me. Does your mum have a makeup bag? Would be a good idea to search it if she does. But to me, it sadly sounds like your mum has started to get confused about toiletries.
I suspect it is something she is putting on her face, I find all sorts of random things in her toiletries bag, I will try and remove more items from.the bathroom when I next visit, its now even harder with the additional restrictions of Coronavirus but will try my best