Problems with boredom in Care Home - affecting mood?

referee50

Apr 24, 2013
My 86 year old Dad has been in a CH for about 2 months now, following discharge from Hospital after breaking his hip. He has said he is happy there and does not want to "move again", or return home to my Mum. She was struggling to care for him before his fall, so it is probably a less stressful environment that when he was with Mum as she found it hard to accept and deal with his Altzeimers. Dad was an Accountant and a keen DIY'er, but he was never a social man. As the Altzeimes has worstened he tends to fiddle with things, take things apart etc, but of course cannot put them back how they started, and sometimes breaks things. Between the intial accident/operation/move to a hospital to recuperate (ha) and then the move to the CH his Altz has definately worstened. He has started to show signs of agitation with other residents, and, after fiddling with his TV so many times the CH can't keep up with him, they have taken the remote away. They tell us they are in the process of recruiting an Activites Co-ordinator, but how far should I push the TV point with them? As he likes to sit in his room it seems unresonable to expect him to do so with nothing for entertainment. On the other hand there are 30 other residents in the CH and the staff could spend all day trying to keep up with Dad's antics. We did try one of those simple to use remotes but i'm afraid he broke it within 24 hours! They have some lovely lounges in the CH, but, like many homes, are populated by mostly little old ladies! I am looking into getting him a radio (without batteries)! Has anyone out there had similar experiences with Care Homes, or/and can you suggest an easy to use TV remote combo where I can lock some of the buttons? Also, easy to use Radio's...

annii1

Jul 5, 2012
west sussex
Hello
My mum has been in a care home for a few weeks now. I don't think I can help you with your queries but have you asked if there is a programme of activities. I was asked by the manager to write about my mum's life and interests, perhaps you could do this and at least staff could direct conversations to what your dad knows about. Do they have a handyman at the home he could help with some little tasks, just anything to make life a bit more individual to his needs. I know it's so hard and I worry that mum is bored as she was so active during her life before this awful disease took hold. All the best to you.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Could you buy dad his own TV to be kept in his bedroom or in a spare public room? Then if he does break it, it will be your responsibility and not a problem for the care home?

I bought my husband a TV and put it in his room. I even had to pay for an aerial to be fitted in as the room hadn't an aerial point. Within days another resident had wandered in and lost the remote control, so I would advise if you do buy him one, to keep the remote control somewhere safe.

Even if the CH doesn't yet have an activity coordinator, it is up to the staff to give your dad some sort of stimulation. As you know your dad's interests (albeit very much diminished) could you draw up a list of things he might like to be encouraged to take part in.

I've seen boards with plugs and switches, bells etc., fastened on. These can be unscrewed and fiddled with without a problem for others. Perhaps a handyman in the family could devise something like this?

xxTinaT

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
things we do

:)

I had thought of that but he ould break that in a minute bless him!:)

we watch every house builidng programme going ...Grand Designs, Sarah Beeny, DIY SOS. DIY SOS particularly good because soooo repetitive.
We rub rust of things, polish silver, polish metal.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Plastic container of nuts and bolts to pair up for you?

Would he/could he do a jigsaw?

Can you still get these metal ''impossible to take apart' puzzles?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar