Problems with Bathing and Clothes changing in Care Home

referee50

Apr 24, 2013
Things have reached a tipping point over the last few weeks with my Dad who has been in a CH for over a year. When he first went in we told them he lacked the understanding to change his clothes, and that following a broken hip he stuggled to wash himself. He always disliked them bathing him, and this has become progressivly worse, with him refusing point blank and becoming very agitated and disressed at the suggestion of it. However, the CH insist he is still washing himself, but he still refuses to change his clothes. Just before Xmas Mum visited to find him still in the same clothes he had been wearing for a month. He was wearing 3 pairs of pants that were damp and his room stank of urine, plus there was urine in his laundry basket! Mum went to find some one to ask if there were continence problems, one of the Carers told Mum she didn't know as "he looks after himself"! Following this I took the difficult step of initiating a Safeguarding Order with Social Services. This prompted a swift bath and change of clothes, and the comm Psyche Nurse called last week to re-do his MME, he refused to answer any of her questions and again became agitated. She suggested a DoLS order for 7 days, but the Home Manager has gone on holiday this week! On Mums arrival for a visit yesterday she was pounced on by the deputy manager, advising Mum she was not prepared to " hold Dad down and rip his clothes off" and that we had "spoilt the relationship they had with Dad" which was basically leaving him to his own devices.

The thing I don't understand is that all along we have stated we would be happy with a weekly strip wash and clothes change, but they only seem to want to bath him. He very probably finds this extremely uncomfortable. Our argument is surely they should have sight of his whole body on a weekly basis to at the very least check the integrity of his skin etc, but they seem to think it is OK to just leave him to it as it keeps him happy? We are both so upset by this whole thing, if anyone elso has experienced anything similar your input would be very much appreciated. I feel we are letting Dad down...

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
Their approach is all wrong on so many levels, you really need to alert to CQC about them. They should have the necessary training and skills to manage cleanliness and clothing changes without confrontation, this is one example they might care to watch, although there are numerous strategies to take, they really have no excuse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxwJgDg3bYU

Good luck and best wishes

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
They should not be holding him down and ripping his clothes off, but they should also not be leaving him damp and smelly. I think you should alert the cqc, and social services. My mother is in a care home and is extremely resistant to bathing and changing clothes, but the staff manage to shower her twice a week without using force, and her clothes are clean. Their staff should be trained to manage this, leaving him to his own devices isn't care.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
Just want to say that I admire you for initiating the Safeguard Order.
It makes me angry when I read so often on here of care home staff leaving residents in this unacceptable state.
Do report this to the CQC.

referee50

Apr 24, 2013
Safeguarding..

Just want to say that I admire you for initiating the Safeguard Order.
It makes me angry when I read so often on here of care home staff leaving residents in this unacceptable state.
Do report this to the CQC.

I didn't do it lightly but as my husband works in Social Care and made me read the information the relevant County Council supplied about Safeguarding, there was no question that neglect, whether intentional or through poor organisation and staffing, is still neglect.

reallady

Mar 6, 2008
Bucks
Been here too.

Things have reached a tipping point over the last few weeks with my Dad who has been in a CH for over a year. When he first went in we told them he lacked the understanding to change his clothes, and that following a broken hip he stuggled to wash himself. He always disliked them bathing him, and this has become progressivly worse, with him refusing point blank and becoming very agitated and disressed at the suggestion of it. However, the CH insist he is still washing himself, but he still refuses to change his clothes. Just before Xmas Mum visited to find him still in the same clothes he had been wearing for a month. He was wearing 3 pairs of pants that were damp and his room stank of urine, plus there was urine in his laundry basket! Mum went to find some one to ask if there were continence problems, one of the Carers told Mum she didn't know as "he looks after himself"! Following this I took the difficult step of initiating a Safeguarding Order with Social Services. This prompted a swift bath and change of clothes, and the comm Psyche Nurse called last week to re-do his MME, he refused to answer any of her questions and again became agitated. She suggested a DoLS order for 7 days, but the Home Manager has gone on holiday this week! On Mums arrival for a visit yesterday she was pounced on by the deputy manager, advising Mum she was not prepared to " hold Dad down and rip his clothes off" and that we had "spoilt the relationship they had with Dad" which was basically leaving him to his own devices.

The thing I don't understand is that all along we have stated we would be happy with a weekly strip wash and clothes change, but they only seem to want to bath him. He very probably finds this extremely uncomfortable. Our argument is surely they should have sight of his whole body on a weekly basis to at the very least check the integrity of his skin etc, but they seem to think it is OK to just leave him to it as it keeps him happy? We are both so upset by this whole thing, if anyone elso has experienced anything similar your input would be very much appreciated. I feel we are letting Dad down...

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I have been nagging, begging, persuading the nursing home where Mum is over the last three years and it was when the CQC got involved that the speed of change increased rapidly. I know it is a hard thing to do but grit your teeth and ring them. You can choose to remain anonymous but don't let this continue please.

wobbly

Feb 14, 2012
Mid Wales
We had similar with my dad, he was in a residential home and they said he was ever so good at sorting himself out, we would come in ans the whole place stank, and we knew it would be dad before we got to him.....they said they couldnt make him go to the toilet/be washed/wear pads etc, but yet they could allow him to sit in his own mess for hours. Imasked if they could "toilet" him regularly, oh no they couldn't do that. They then asked me if I could come in to sort out personal care!! Yes that would be ideal!! I spoke to the cpn who arranged to assess him, meanwhile the home suddenly decided they would serve notice as they were not meeting his needs.......it worked out in the end as Dad was assessed as needing emi nursing care and was moved to an emi nursing unit. Guess what...the staff toilet him regularly, chnage pads regularly and he got used to it, they know how to approach him when he's being stubborn, they help him dress in the morning in clean clothes, shave him and put his shoes on him. The other place wouldn't put his shoes on as he was always wet and soaked the shoes.....what a surprise!! He loves the staff, especially the male carers bless him. Iused to go in to the last place and he would look like the Michelin Man, one day I took off three thin v neck jumpers, two long sleeved shirts, done up to the neck, two short sleeved shirts, two tee shirts and somebody else's big jacket...his obviously wouldn't fit over that lot!!
Its sooooo hard isn't it.......