Problems in hospital - long term catheter removed

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
Hi
sorry for another thread on my dad but I am really worried.

My dad is in hospital recovering from sepsis (from UTI). He is in a side room on his own at the other end of the ward no where near the nurses station.

When we went in for visiting today (2pm-4pm) his door was closed. The auxilary nurse was in there only just getting him out of bed and washed. His pad was soaked through and blood stained. She said his long term catheter had fallen out??? How does a catheter fall out (he has been catheterised since Feb 2012).
I suspect he was trying to get out of bed, climing over the rails and pulled it out as the catheter bag is attached to the side rails of the bed.

Lunch is at 1.30, so I asked the auxillary if he had had his lunch and she said she offered him macarroni cheese but he didnt want it (he hadnt had breakfast and why would he want to eat when sat in a sodden pad in a wet bed). She hadnt even got him a yogurt or a sandwich.

My concerns are :
- is he being left all morning/night without anyone checking on him?
- why is he only being washed and gotten out of bed at 2pm?
- no one monitors what he eats or bothers to help cut up his food?
- my biggest worry is now his catherter is out they haven't put a new one in as they are going to see if his bladder works on its own. He original had the catheter put in last Feb in the same hospital as he kept going into retention and not emptying his bladder. After 18mths with one can his bladder really start working again properly? will they actually monitor him properly to know if his bladder is working or not?

I am so worried about this I am not sure what to do. I was going to phone up again tonight at 9pm to check he is ok and to make sure they know about the catheyer being removed. I really have no trust in them. They just don't seem to care any more.

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
betsi you must be so worried bout your poor dad. when my brother in law was in hosp for 12 days we made sure someone was with him from morning till night an even then during the night he had fall an was found wandering in the ladies ward, I just don't think they have the staff to look after dementia patients. yes I would ring tonight an I would be there when doc does his ward rounds though they don't do that on a sunday I believe. good luck hope your dad gets sorted soon all the best juniepoonie

HelenInBC

Mar 23, 2013
I know this is probably not a great help to you, but I know that if my mom ever gets admitted to the hospital (she has moderate dementia from AD) I will probably try to be with her as much as I can or hire a private carer to stay with her. Acute care hospitals are understaffed and poorly set up to care for dementia patients. I just wouldn't feel safe leaving her alone in hospital.

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
I would if I could but I have 2 children, the youngest is 10 yrs old and it is the school holidays.
I can not take her there (I do not want her picking anything up and it is very boring for a child).

My mum is 83 yrs old and can't drive. She is too old for me too leave her up there on her own for hours and she has a dog at home as well.

I was there for 7 hrs wed & thur but I can't do that every day it isnt fair on my children.
I feel torn in two, I want to be with my dad but then feel like I am letting my own family down.

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
what a difficult situation for you an not everyone can afford private care. what I would do is ask when doc does ward round then maybe get a friend to have kids for couple hours an make sure you are there to voice your concerns to doc. its such a worry I know. but hopefully you can get something sorted. junie poonie

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
betsie, about your concern regarding the catheter removal - my dad has also suffered with urinary retention several times and has had catheters put in because of this. My dad has had a catheter in for as long as 18 months and has had it removed to find his bladder working normally. He does not have one in now and his bladder is OK. I prefer him not to have a catheter because they make people far more prone to UTIs. He had several nasty infections when a catheter was in place.

Wildflower

Apr 6, 2013
Brighton
I've just remembered something else. The last time dad's catheter was removed I was asked to monitor his input of fluid and output of urine (he lives with me) This was how it was judged whether his bladder was working properly. Perhaps this is what will happen to your dad. It's also possible for the hospital to do an ultrasound scan to see if the bladder is empty or not.

betsie

Jun 11, 2012
Thanks for your replies.

I couldn't find anything on google about having a long term catheter removed and the bladder working again so it is very reassuring to hear your dad was in the same situation.

Went earlier today to make sure he ate all his lunch and they said his bladder was still working ok which is good news as I would rather he didnt need the catheter as that is what caused the uti which gave him sepsis.

He finishes his 7 days of intravenous antibiotics tommorow morning so I am hoping they will let him out very soon.