Problems getting dad to eat

Vickilovemydad

Jul 12, 2022
My father who has AD had a fall a couple of weeks ago and broke 6 ribs and had a punctured lung is now back home and I care for him each day. Before the fall he had quite a good appetite, after the fall his AD became worse and I can’t seem to get him to eat anything. I give him little titbits all through the day to tempt him but he will just put them to the side and says he will eat them in a bit or he has one mouthful. When I prompt him to eat after a while he gets agitated and says if he wants a day off eating then he can, but this has been going on for 2 weeks now. He is getting about ok and is up and down all day. Last night he was up and down the stairs 34 times so I don’t understand why he is not hungry. Has anyone got any tips please on how I can get him to eat?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Vickilovemydad.

I’m so sorry to read about your dad. It might be an idea to contact his GP and ask for a referral to a dietician.

I wonder if this would be of any help

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Vickilovemydad
A warm welcome from me too

You sound so worried ... I agree with Izzy, let your dad's GP know and request a home visit to have your dad checked over ... maybe ask for a referral to SALT (Speech and Language Therapy) to see if there's anything they can suggest

I hope you have some support in caring for your dad ... before his discharge a care package should have been put in place eg home care visits, physio, to help his recovery ... of not ask the GP for an urgent referral, as your dad might respond to someone in uniform ... you can yourself contact your dad's Local Authority Adult Services for an urgent assessment of his care needs

Maybe contact Admiral Nurses, as they are there to help the carer

If your dad is drinking, maybe try milkshakes, fortified drinks, soups etc

Vickilovemydad

Jul 12, 2022
Thanks for your reply, I will try the protein drinks. It is difficult to know what to do for the best. I have contacted the doctor so we will see where we go with that.

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
I imagine the residual pain (assuming imperfect pain control... it's dementia after all!) is probably enough to take the edge of his appetite, if chewing and swallowing and associated chest movement is additionally uncomfortable in any way. That could go on for quite a while... though I guess, compared to breathing, eating is a trivial source of movement. But who knows? Being uncomfortable is a great appetite suppressant though.

Or it could just be the changes in routine and daily habit around the injury. Doesn't take much to upset the dementia apple cart. I've seen people suggest leaving snacks (no matter how unhealthy!) around the house where they can be discovered and possibly eaten, away from "pestering". But when I tried that a few years ago, what I mainly got was messy, squirrel-like stashes of things I really didn't want stashed in clothes drawers or in pockets.

Dementia loves to set us puzzles. Pills, food, waterworks... always another headache to chase! Good luck.

Vickilovemydad

Jul 12, 2022
Hi again. Does anyone out there have a loved one who also on palliative care for cancer. I moved in with my dad 3 weeks ago as he was deteriorating with bladder and prostrate cancer which was diagnosed when he went into hospital after his fall.
He stopped eating about 9 days ago and is very weak but because he has Alzheimer’s dementia I can’t explain to him that he has cancer and he can’t get out of bed as he is too weak. But he does not understand and just keeps trying to day and night. It is awful to watch. Does anyone have any suggestions?

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello @Vickilovemydad
A warm welcome from me too

You sound so worried ... I agree with Izzy, let your dad's GP know and request a home visit to have your dad checked over ... maybe ask for a referral to SALT (Speech and Language Therapy) to see if there's anything they can suggest

I hope you have some support in caring for your dad ... before his discharge a care package should have been put in place eg home care visits, physio, to help his recovery ... of not ask the GP for an urgent referral, as your dad might respond to someone in uniform ... you can yourself contact your dad's Local Authority Adult Services for an urgent assessment of his care needs

Maybe contact Admiral Nurses, as they are there to help the carer

If your dad is drinking, maybe try milkshakes, fortified drinks, soups etc

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I think this is a good idea and I remember this awful stage with dad's Alzheimers and of course dad also had diabetes type 2. I often ended up having to leave food out for him like a buffet but in reality I was reaching the point where dad needed residential care and even a paramedic said that my caring days are over. I think your dad needs more care and if you haven't got carers coming in already now's a good time to look at residential care.

MaNaAk

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hi again. Does anyone out there have a loved one who also on palliative care for cancer. I moved in with my dad 3 weeks ago as he was deteriorating with bladder and prostrate cancer which was diagnosed when he went into hospital after his fall.
He stopped eating about 9 days ago and is very weak but because he has Alzheimer’s dementia I can’t explain to him that he has cancer and he can’t get out of bed as he is too weak. But he does not understand and just keeps trying to day and night. It is awful to watch. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hello @Vickilovemydad and welcome. So sorry to hear about your dad's cancer diagnosis and I appreciate how difficult the situation must be for you. I hope that the doctor has now been in contact with you and has provided some help and support for you both.

If you haven't already been in touch with them, Macmillan are a good source of support too. They have a forum specifically for those who are caring for someone with cancer:

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_experiences/carers-only-forum

They also have a helpful support line:

Macmillan Support Helpline

Last edited: