problem ?

maggier

Jan 9, 2006
manchester
Hello
sorry not posted in a while as been busy with one "thing or my mother"
just a question if anyone can make any suggestions
mum will not wear her bra, (she is 75 years old) but no matter what I cannot make her put her bra on, she says they hurt her and she can't breathe. I think it is because it is that long since she has worn a bra obviously it must feel restrictive. This in itself is not a problem as she does not go anywhere at all just stays in the house looking out of the window, the problem is that because we cannot make her have a bath as often as we would like, she is obviously sweating under her boobs and she has got a terrible rash under neath her boobs. We have got cream from the doctor for her on several occasions, but it never really goes away and sometimes the smell is absolutely dreadful. Yesterday when I went she was lay on the sofa looking quite poorly and at first I was very worried as I thought she was ill, she said she had a bad stomach but was pointing to her boobs. When I looked it was almost as if someone had poured a boiling kettle on her. The skin was red and weeping. We had some cream in, so I made her get in the bath and I put some salt in the water (couldn't think of anything else) then when she was dry I put some gauze with loads and loads of cream on and put it under her boobs. What else can we do. she won't go to the doctors, I don't think I can get a doctor to come out for something like this, I am worried that it will get that bad she will end up in hospital or something. I feel really sorry for her at the moment and if she knew what it was like and how bad it smelled she would be mortified, but what can we do?
any suggestions or if anyone has come across anything like this I would be grateful to hear from you. I have a sister who helps but she dos not live locally so am at a loss and feel so responsible. Mum does not have carers or anything coming to the house as she would not let them in, she says there is nothing wrong with her and we had to let them go. She is on seroquel (apparently an antipsychotic) and also aricept.
I look forward to hearing from anyone who could help.
regards
Maggie xxx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
. We have got cream from the doctor for her on several occasions, but it never really goes away and sometimes the smell is absolutely dreadful. Yesterday when I went she was lay on the sofa looking quite poorly and at first I was very worried as I thought she was ill, she said she had a bad stomach but was pointing to her boobs. When I looked it was almost as if someone had poured a boiling kettle on her. The skin was red and weeping.

That is just what happen to my mother and she was wearing a bra , but she would not let me wash her , she said she was washing herself they ,but she was not , oh yes the smell was absolutely dreadful.

So I had to stop her from wearing a bra so the air could get they , and I had to stand next to her to make sure she was washing drying herself properly .

The nurse said its because she not she was washing drying herself properly.
[

It took a while to clear up
Its never come back now when I supervise her washing drying her self they . I have not put a bra on her for fear it would come back , which it never has but it does not seem to be the bra , as you said your mother does not wear one , she getting it

so nurse must of been right when she said she was not washing drying herself properly they .

PS My mother did said it was very pain full , must of been because it look so red sore .

because we cannot make her have a bath as often as we would like

she may be getting a fear of the bath water . why not give her a wash down if she lets you , in the sink in the bathroom every day while she sore they .

say to your mother ( While she got this ) It be better that I stand next to you , show me how you wash yourself they , while your so sore . Its just a way in to letting you supervise her washing herself .

I would let my mother do it all herself , but would say No try it this way or that why, and one day she give me the flannel she let me do it for her .

Last edited:

Kate P

Jul 6, 2007
Merseyside
Hi Maggie,

I would contact your doctor if I were you. Firstly, if it is an open wound there could be infection there so she may need a course of antibiotics to clear that up before it can start to get better.

Secondly they may be able to give you better cream for it than over the counter stuff. I know my sister got some excellent cream for her daughter's nappy rash and eczema that she just couldn't get to heal with over the counter creams.

In my current condition, I too hate wearing a bra because it is so uncomfortable and all I can think of you to try for your mum is washing under her boobs with baby wipes a couple of times a day and make sure you dry afterwards as apparently the wetness can be part of what causes the sores. My other thought is that, depending on how big your mum is, whether you could get her a sort of crop top underwear thing - it's like a cross between a bra and a vest - the material would come underneath her boobs to soak up the sweat but it's made of cotton so it shouldn't be uncomfortable for her. The only thing is I think these are usually for teenagers/fairly flat chested women so I don't know if that would work for you. I suppose sports shops may do something similar?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Firstly, if it is an open wound there could be infection there so she may need a course of antibiotics to clear that up before it can start to get better.

Good point they Kate , as that what the doctor gave me to give my mother .

As those normal creams form the chemist would not clear it up .

Just read this

We have got cream from the doctor for her on several occasions, but it never really goes away and sometimes the smell is absolutely dreadful.

Its down to your mother not washing drying herself they then .

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Maggie,
I think Kate's idea of an undershirt instead of a bra makes a lot of sense, particularly while you are getting the infection cleared up. Yes, I think the smell is from not bathing, particularly if she gets hot and sweats. I know for myself in the summer when it's so hot & humid I have to pay particular attention under my breasts.

Perhaps when the rash is cleared up, baby powder can be used to help absorb sweat also.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Perhaps when the rash is cleared up, baby powder can be used to help absorb sweat also.

Don't want to sound "know it all" but not a good idea to put powder under boobs..all that happens is that the powder becomes damp and cakes and causes more irritation.
I think cotton undershirts are a really good idea.
If there's an odour the chances are it's a fungal infection like Thrush..in which case an anti fungal cream would help..but it's always best to get it checked by a doctor,especially if the skin is broken. If the doc won't come out..and mum won't go to the doc..could you discuss it on the phone..or would a district nurse be able to come out and check.

The gauze on top of the cream is also a really good idea..but ordinary moisturiser will make it worse.
The best thing to do..if all else fails..is to keep the skin as clean and dry as possible ..no talc..no creams unless advised by a doctor or nurse.

Hope this helps, Maggie.

Love Gigi x

Last edited:

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Hi Maggie

I'm with Gigi in that I would get someone to look at it. Mum has type 11 diabetes and when she was still looking after her personal care developed a rash under her breasts. It was diagnosed as thrush and required anti-fungal cream to clear it. Mum also was persuaded (albeit reluctantly) to eat some live yoghurt as well. (She never let me put that on her chest though, although I was told that it did give good relief from thrush!)

If you can get it cleared up you can get sports bras which have air holes at the bottom in an attempt to allow air to circulate or crop tops which can be a bit comfier as Kate suggested. Make sure though that they are cotton instead of manmade fibre.

I would suggest though for the moment that if you can you try and make sure that they are washed, dried and aired for a few minutes each day (easier said than done I know..but you probably stand a better chance while they are sore of her remembering. Make sure that she is wearing cotton/silk if you can as it is better for airflow. In the winter it is probably worse as she will wear many layers to keep warm and this will probably exacerabte any problems.

Good Luck

Mameeskye

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
not a good idea to put powder under boobs..all that happens is that the powder becomes damp and cakes and causes more irritation.

Very true, I was thinking about what I do, which is different to what can be done with a person who has AD. Not one of my better suggestions :eek:.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I vote for cotton vests. My mother had very large breasts and for the last few years of her life she refused to wear a bra. Thin vests worked fine to reduce the sweating - they clung and absorbed the moisture. That's for after you've got rid of the rash though.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Maggie

Good suggestions there for after the infection has cleared up.

But first, as gigi says, I'd phone the doctor first thing in the morning and ask for a visit by the district nurse. She'll be able to give you up-to-date information on treatment, and if she feels a visit from the GP is necessary, she can arrange it for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Love,

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
I have been told this type of rash is common

Gentlemen also get rashes, under the nether regions. They sweat, and it is like a nappy rash, and yes, if left unattended it can smell. The Doctor told me wet wipes are not the way to go. Good old soap and water, and making the area dry. And the cream given by the doctor was Clotrimazole 1%. It works for (candida) thrush, use for two weeks. Or for other infections up to a month, 2 - 3 times a day. Keep the area dry as possible. And above all, clean and dry.
Hope this helps.
Barb X

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
I would agreed that is probably fungal, but you should get the GP to check, just in case it is not.

My mum wouldn't wear her bra either, and she had exactly the same. I lost count of the amount of tissues she had tucked under her boobs :rolleyes:

Beverley x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Maggie,

It may not work with your mum because of the dementia, but when one of my sons had problems in his 'nether regions' after surgery, his doctor recommended making sure the area was dry by using a 'hair dryer' set on a cool setting.

Just a thought.

zonkjonk

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
my mum had a rash like that once and it turned out to be shingles, for which the doctor prescribed medicine and special creams
Shingles can be extremely painful, and potentially contagious.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Well,ladies, here we go!

This is a problem both me and my mum have, having very large breasts (why on earth people want enlargements I cannot understand). Basically the underneath of a large breast never gets any air, bra or no bra (even assuming you can buy a bra to fit - being a 32 H is not easy and finding a cotton bra for the summer is a nightmare). My mum has never had a problem with hers, she washes with mild soap and water every day, dries off well, and applies a little talc - and never has a problem. She still wears a bra, but is isn't worth wearing for the purpose of a bra - it doesn't fit, is far too loose but makes her feel "dressed".

Me, I wear a good strong uplifting bra, £55 each, and boy am I sore under my breasts at times. I am not a talc user for the reasons suggested (but it works for my mum), but I do apply a moisturiser every other day. Seems odd, that, to apply moisturiser to a damp place, but I do it after I have bathed/showered and dried very thoroughly (and walked around with my breast held in the air for ten minutes!) and it seems to work. Occasionally I have used Savlon if it has got a bit sore, and that has worked. But you do need to keep "on top" of it, so to speak. The area MUST be washed daily and thoroughly dried.

If not, there is a danger of a fungal infection setting in, which is much more difficult to treat. Fungal infections can attack all sortd of damp, warm place, and under the breasts is a prime source.

On occasions I have been really sore, and I have applied Savlon and inserted a piece of soft kitchen roll (I suppose tissues would be more gentle) under each breast to keep the breast and the chest separate, and prevent rubbing, which is another cause of soreness.

If your mum has a smell, it could be an infection, but she does need to wash and dry every day. It doesn't need to be a bath, a flannel wash will do, but she must be dry before applying anything else, whether cream or talc, whichever works for her.

Good luck, and glad to have shared my intimate problems!

The moral of this story is, if you are into cosmetic surgery, number 1 on your list is a breast reduction!

Love

Margaret

PS quite apart from the huge dents in my shoulder from the bra straps and the frequent bleeding they cause!