Problem with Inbox and Sending emails....

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
This is not strictly a TP problem although of course it is affecting the emails I receive of threads I am subscribed to. If anyone computer savvy can advise me I would be grateful.

Didn't get online till late last night and discovered most if my Inbox emails had disappeared. A great many there and some very important.

More worrying is that they are still disappearing. This morning when I came on, all but a few of the unread ones from last night had disappeared. I then received about 25 this morning but had to log off and shut down before reading them. Returned to find only six unread emails left in my Inbox. Other gone. PANIC.

Then tried to send an email to someone about an important email I was waiting to receive and it would not send. Got this message up (I've omitted the Subject):

An unknown error has occurred. Subject ************,Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 Resources temporarily unavailable - Please try again later', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

I update my virus protection programme almost daily and do frequent scans. I use Microsoft Security Essentials, have used it for about two years with no problems and it has a few times caught 'bugs/viruses' and dealt with them.

Any advice?

Have to go now, visiting husband in care home, wont get back on TP until late afternoon/early evening.....

Thanks
Loo

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Loo, hi
I would contact your internet provider and let them know, it sounds as if the problem is at their end and only they can put it right.

I hope you have a good visit and get your computer problems sorted soon, it's a nightmare when you now that things are disappearing especially when you are waiting for important information.

My mum had this problem a while ago and her provider seems to have sorted it out now.
With best wishes from Jo

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
What email client Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Live,.....?

"...all but a few of the unread ones from last night had disappeared....
Returned to find only six unread emails left in my Inbox. Other gone. PANIC...."

Is client set to only show unread emails? Post client if you want details.

Can you see mails webwise?
https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.intl=uk&.partner=bt-1&.done=http://bt.yahoo.com/?

If client is losing them enable 'Leave copy on server' in account properties.

My money is on the view setting plus unrelated BT SMTP glitch.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Hi Jo. I have only just managed back. A load of emails in today, if I scroll down to read a lower one the emails above that disappear so I have not managed to read them.... Just checked again and Inbox empty, all gone....

Thanks Jo, it is a bad day and I'm short of time today. This is driving me up the wall.

I am going to reply to Nitram's post now.

Loo x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Thanks Nitram. My system is Vista, using Microsoft Windows Mail.

Is client set to only show unread emails? Post client if you want details.

If client is losing them enable 'Leave copy on server' in account properties.
Not sure what you mean.... How do I see settings? Also 'account properties'?
Post client if you want details.
I would like details, thanks.

I did eventually get there, with difficulty. It never used to be a problem but I think Yahoo changed webmail and ever since when I click on my BT Yahoo icon on deskop and sign in I get a notice saying 'SORRY,FORBIDDEN' etc. But eventually got to the webmail Inbox after much fiddling about.

There are over 380 emails in Inbox but only displaying one page, clicking on 'previous page' did not work. Also continuously coming up: 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'.

My money is on the view setting plus unrelated BT SMTP glitch.
Sorry, not sure what you mean about this either.... I must sound dumb, but never had such problems before.

Thanks for your time and response, and any help much appreciated.

Loo

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Hello again Nitram. I have checked and 'Show all messages' is OK. Yes, I can now send emails. Could not do so just after the problem arose on Thursday.

I think when on Yahoo webmail I did notice that it had unlimited storage... will check again later, if I ever manage to get there. I'm not a lover of Yahoo.

When I changed computers and servers over three years ago the Yahoo webmail used to automatically delete emails after they had been sent to Windows Mail Inbox, but now they just pile up and I often forget to go sort that out.

I went to your BT link, don't know how many emails would total the limit mentioned of 50 Mb but I have had one heck of a lot of emails in my Windows Mail Inbox and never a problem. So I don't think it is that causing this problem

While searching around online I picked up on something about Microsoft Windows Mail recently issuing an update concerning the junk e-mail filter, then was interrupted when someone called. Shall try to follow this up. I am thinking that perhaps since I am not aware of being notified of this Update (or missed it), perhaps all my incoming emails are being treated as junk mail and removed? I'm vague about it until I learn more, but a possibility?

Thanks again for your time, and the links, I do appreciate it.

Loo

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I'm not a fan of either Yahoo or BT, putting the two together was asking for confusion.

Depending on the exact version 'Show all messages' may be on a per folder basis, did you have the offending Inbox displayed when you checked the setting?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you right click on the inbox - LH pane if default setting - and then left click 'Properties' what does it say?

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Hi Nitram, just came for a quick look before stumbling off to bed.

I'm not a fan of either Yahoo or BT, putting the two together was asking for confusion.
How right you are!

No, don't have any other AV installed. Laptop came with McAfee installed but I changed after a while.

If you right click on the inbox - LH pane if default setting - and then left click 'Properties' what does it say?
It says "This folder contains 783 messages. 0 unread." That was a shock, didn't know so many in Inbox. :eek:

Some important emails there. Is there any way I could access this folder?

Depending on the exact version 'Show all messages' may be on a per folder basis, did you have the offending Inbox displayed when you checked the setting?
Exact version of what? I'll check this again tomorrow, very late and must be sensible, get to bed....

Thanks again, Nitram. Appreciated.

Loo

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Loo - all my inbox emails disappeared last night! I'm BT as well but I have a Mac. They're all still here on my phone through Yahoo. I will need to look at my computer in the morning. x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"...Exact version of what?..."

Windows Mail

There are many ways of recovering the mail but let's make sure about the view setting for 'Show all mails' first

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Can I just say, without trying to frighten you, that yahoo, as a free service, has very often just dumped accounts and blocked them and all sorts of problems. If you have important emails on there then you really should do something to protect them. One way is to create another account on say gmail and copy the important emails to there too, thus creating a back up. I stopped using yahoo mail when I lost years worth of emails and pictures of my father which would not be replaced as he had recently died. So, you live and learn on this big world of the internet...

Fiona

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I found my emails this morning! They were in the deleted folder. I'm supposing it's something I've done by mistake and not the Apple Mail system. I just selected them all and moved them back into my inbox. Quite a co-incidence that I lost them the same time as you Loo, x

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
FifiMo

OP can see mails on the server, the problem appears to be with her client.

If checking the view settings doesn't work it looks like mailbox corruption or possible just too many mails in the inbox, 783 is really too many, the inbox is not meant to store this many, mails that require keeping should be moved either by filter or manually to storage folder(s) set up in the LH pane.

To sort out the inbox my suggestion is that the OP first does a full back up using the free version of
http://www.kls-soft.com/klsmailbackup/
Then first try rebuilding just the inbox not the complete message store.
First enable 'Show hidden folders'
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-vista/Show-hidden-files
then close windows mail and navigate to
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
Then rename the inbox and start windows mail and try sending test messages to yourself .

If not OK post back with details of what's wrong.

If OK navigate to
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail
again, you should have a new inbox containing the test messages.
Now close windows mail and download
http://www.birdiesoftware.com/eml-file-viewer.html
this will enable you to read the emails in the message store they are *.eml
Identify the mails you want to keep in the renamed inbox and drag them to the new inbox.

Any problems post back quoting EXACT errors messages if any.

When working OK do regular backups using klsmailbackup or better still move the mail store to My Documents (ask how if you can't find out how to do this). All your emails will them be backed up when you do your regular backup of My Documents - you do this don't you ?????!!!!!

EDIT
PS Before trying http://www.birdiesoftware.com/eml-file-viewer.html to read the mails in the renamed folder just left click to see if they open in windows mail, also try right click|open with|windows mail

Last edited:

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
My apologies, Nitram, for not managing back earlier. Thank you for your detailed email which I shall print out and keep in my computer folder. I am a great believer in paper records.

783 is really too many, the inbox is not meant to store this many...
Yes I know, and I was shocked. It is not carelessness nor my normal way. But like a great many other things this past year-plus the 'normal' in life has had to take a back seat.

All your emails will them be backed up when you do your regular backup of My Documents - you do this don't you ?????!!!!!
Yes I do. Weekly. I also update my AV almost daily and do regular scans.

Since the problem started last Thursday I have several times checked the Windows Mail View Menu > Current View and it has always been ' Show all Messages'.

Today Inbox emails both read and unread continued to disappear. I don't know why I did it but I went back to Current View, changed 'Show all Messages' to 'Hide or Ignore all Messages', then closed down my laptop.

Then I made two important phone calls to Social Services and the Care Home, started my laptop again. Changed 'Hide or Ignore all Messages' back to the usual 'Show all Messages'. All the missing emails returned to my Inbox.....

I don't know what has been going on - perhaps a BT glitch?? I just know that each time I checked Current View it was definitely 'Show all Messages'.

Izzy - strange - a coincidence?- that your emails also disappeared from your Inbox, and you are also with BT. I had an automatic Windows Update about the same time as my problem, and one update concerned the junk-email filter. I did wonder if, consequently, all my Inbox mails were being treated as junk-emails.

Glad you found yours in your deleter folder. I spent ages looking everywhere, checking, double checking, reading etc.

Nitram, my sincere appreciation to you for your prompt responses to my posts, and for your time.

The klsmailbackup sounds useful, I shall download it - but fervently hope this problem has now gone.

Again, my thanks and appreciation. You have been most helpful.

Loo

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Hello Fiona

Can I just say, without trying to frighten you, that yahoo, as a free service, has very often just dumped and blocked them and all sorts of problems.
Well I certainly have had - and still have - problems with Yahoo. I usually go to their webmail - when I do manage to get on it, one problem being frequently having my password rejected and I refuse to change it yet again. As I was saying..... I go there when I can and delete the emails. But last time, very recently, it stuck on the first page and I didn't have time to fiddle about. They used to automatically delete after being sent to my laptop Inbox but I think that may have been before BT linked up with Yahoo.

What a heartbreak for you to lose years of emails and particularly pictures of your father. Yes we do live and learn, painfully, in the world of the internet. I don't trust it, nor computers. My first computer died on me years ago and I lost much of value, including photos, which would have cost a fortune to retrieve even parts of it.

Another loss has been valuable family history research. Now I print it, although family research is another thing that has taken a back seat for a long time.

Loo x

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan