Problem with GP in Care Home

Zoe Toots

Sep 2, 2020
My mother is residing in a Care Home with vascular dementia. Luckily she still knows who we are - 4 siblings - but has gone down hill over lock down etc as I used to go in pretty much every day to see her.
In January this year mum had a vaginal bleed going on for 2 weeks and the GP took her off Rivaoxoban but did nothing else. As nothing was being done and I didn't want her being off her blood thinners any more, I made an appointment to see a private doctor as knew it would be quick! Long and short of it, mum's examination was fine but she made it quite clear that her Rivaoxoban should started again immediately - she was quite shocked it was just stopped.
This is not the only instance of him stopping drugs. I also stopped her Statin for no reason. I wrote an email inserting clips into it saying you should never stop a drug like this especially with Mums medical history - 2 heart attacks, angioplasty and a triple by-pass plus both her parents died of strokes. She was eventually put back on them and he mentioned cost in an email which made me feel sick!
Just recently, Mum had ONE vaginal bleed and instead of doing any other investigations/blood tests he just stopped her Rivaoxiban again and even with all 4 of us saying she needs to be on them he is refusing to start them again and I am petrified she will have a stroke which is her worst nightmare. He is an arrogant man with no compassion or empathy.
Can i do anything else? My brother is going to talk to him as I will just get emotional and depending on what happens, I will go to the CQC and make a complaint and if anything happens to mum as result i.e. stroke, I will go to medical ombudsman to try to get him struck off! Goodness knows who else he has done this to in the Care Home who have since died - he is playing God and I feel powerless to do anything :(

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi @Zoe Toots
Have you tried emailing the Practice Manager, explaining the problems to him/her?
Include details such as GP talking about the cost of the drug, and ask if this is because of her age.
I would also ask for the complaints procedure as that sometimes makes them take note.

Zoe Toots

Sep 2, 2020
Hi @Zoe Toots
Have you tried emailing the Practice Manager, explaining the problems to him/her?
Include details such as GP talking about the cost of the drug, and ask if this is because of her age.
I would also ask for the complaints procedure as that sometimes makes them take note.
Thank you for the helpful suggestion.