Problem with brushing teeth

blue eyes

Nov 6, 2014
I can manage to get the toothbrush into my husband's mouth and clean his front teeth and gums but he refuses to open his teeth so that I can get the tooth brush into clean the back of his teeth. I stand in front of him with my mouth open trying to prompt him to do the same, all to no avail. I have tried opening his teeth with my finger, sometimes it works. I have tried offering him a spoon in the hope that he might open his mouth fully for food. Not much success with that. He has beautiful teeth and I dread to think that he may lose them because of poor dental care. He always took such good care of them. Does anyone have any suggestion please?

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Would getting a smaller sized toothbrush (eg of the same type you'd use with a baby) work better than trying to get an adult-sized toothbrush to the back of the mouth? Maybe a smaller size toothbrush would seem less "intrusive"?

blue eyes

Nov 6, 2014
Thank you for your suggestions. With my husband he does not understand what I am saying to him when I ask him to open his teeth. He just clenches them and stares blankly at me. He is a very strong man.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti