Probate Needed?

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Liepy, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Liepy

Liepy Registered User

Oct 10, 2017
    Lost my dear mum on Monday after nearly years in a Nursing home. It was very peaceful in the end. My question is do we need probate?
    I am her only child and her will leaves everything to me. No property now as the house was sold when dad died 2 years ago. She now has less than £18,000 with Santander sat in a current account that I had LPA for.
    No other items of value.

2. love.dad.but..

love.dad.but.. Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    I am sorry to hear that your dear mum has passed away but glad it was peaceful for her which will have been a comfort to her.
    I would think probate most likely will be needed for that amount as generally over around £5000 banks require it although an alternative is applying for grant of representation which gives legal authority which the bank may accept...I would contact Santander and ask the question. Lpa ceases on death of the donor and once the bank is informed her account will be frozen except for funeral expenses.

3. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Just wanted to say I’m sorry for your loss. Sending my condolences.

4. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    I am so sorry for your loss.

I think you will probably need to do probate. I am going through the process myself at the moment and thought I wouldn't need It as everything was in joint names and automatically passed to me anyway (as well as a Will in place leaving everything to me) - but an insurance company has insisted on seeing a sealed grant of probate so I have had no choice but to do it.

The bank will want to see the Will at the very least, and if there are executors other than yourself named in it, they will need to be contacted too and provide ID.

5. malengwa

malengwa Registered User

Jan 26, 2017
    My condolances on the death of your mum, but it reassures when its peaceful
    Depends on the bank, so pop in and ask. Mum had more than 5k in natwest and it was fine. She had less in another and we needed probate, lots of form filling, takes time, but shouldn't be difficult.
    Take care of yourself too.

6. love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    Have a look on the Santander website under the bereavement section what to do. It seems to indicate funds under £50.000 does not need probate which seems a very substantial amount so surprises me..their completed form copy of will and id required. Letters of representation/administration only relevant if no will and you have a will.

7. Slugsta

Slugsta Registered User

I am so sorry for your loss. Please look after yourself at this difficult time.

My Mum died last year. She has around £10000 in a Nationwide account and a DIY will. I went along to the bank with the death cert, my ID and the will - they didn't even ask to see the will, just transferred the money into my account :eek:

8. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    I had exactly the same experience with Nationwide! The amount was just over £6,000 but half of it went on the funeral bill so they gave me one cheque for the FD and one cheque for the rest made out to me, no questions asked, as I had been the attorney and his partner. Had to show death certificate and ID but nothing else.

9. Liepy

Liepy Registered User

Oct 10, 2017
    Thanks all for your replies and kind words. Keeping busy. If we need to do probate then we will probably tackle it ourselves this time but fingers crossed

10. Liepy

Liepy Registered User

Oct 10, 2017
    Just to update. Probate was not needed.. Santander were lovely. We are are all sorted and can move on.

11. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
  12. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    What a relief for you!

13. love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
    Kent
    That's good to hear...just a shame that there isn't universal agreement across institutions and others on whether or not it is needed and common criteria

14. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    That's great news. I am glad you can put that part behind you now :)