Probate application... why does the court need my mum's divorce details?

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
So I'm in the process of applying for probate as mum had no will, and HMCTS have gotten back saying they want my mum's divorce details, and I'm curious why.

It's a pain because my mum never talked how her life before I was born - she was divorced before I was born - and so now I have to pay £65 for a search over a period of ten years because I know absolutely nothing about her marriage, how long she was married, where she married, when she got divorced, etc.

The surviving members of my family are unsure when mum got divorced as they were too young... so I'm just having to guess a date range and hope I get it right.

Coupled with the process and cost of needing to re-register the house as mum threw the deeds away - I already made a thread moaning about that :p - this is all starting to get mildly frustrating ?

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My thoughts are Without a will spouses inherit. Divorce removes the spouse from the picture as far as inheritance is concerned. So the divorce papers are needed to prove that your Mum’s former husband has no right to any inheritance there may be.

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
Well thanks to @Jessbow I think I can narrow the dates down and the court will be able to find the paperwork.

Be glad when all this gets sorted out, not going to lie ?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
If You cant find the divorce, Buying both marriage certs might be a way forward, on the assumption
a) he didnt remarry without divorcing your mother - unlikely
b) That the fathers named on both marriage certs match- which would prove it was the same man.

It wont PROVE they divorced but would prove that he remarried, which would served the same purpose I guess.

Shout me if i can be of any more ssistance

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
I'm sure they were properly divorced because I saw on some insurance application once that mum put she was divorced.

But yeah I hope so! Otherwise what a nightmare that'll be ?

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
I hope you can find the divorce information.
If not get the marriage certificate and then search to see if he has already died which much be a distinct possibility.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Hi, when researching family tree information, you can sometimes get information regarding marriages and divorces. If you know her maiden name and take a guess when approximately she married you might be able to find the record of the marriage and then you can get a copy of the certificate from the GRO for £11.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Hi, when researching family tree information, you can sometimes get information regarding marriages and divorces. If you know her maiden name and take a guess when approximately she married you might be able to find the record of the marriage and then you can get a copy of the certificate from the GRO for £11.
We have managed to establish when they married,and when it appears he remarried. I'd for the assumption that the divorce happened between the two - lets hope so!

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
Court have found mum's divorce, and they're going to send me the certificate, so hopefully things can move forward now.

Letter actually turned up on the day of mum's funeral, which made the day a little brighter ?

Mischiv

Mar 15, 2023
So I'm in the process of applying for probate as mum had no will, and HMCTS have gotten back saying they want my mum's divorce details, and I'm curious why.

It's a pain because my mum never talked how her life before I was born - she was divorced before I was born - and so now I have to pay £65 for a search over a period of ten years because I know absolutely nothing about her marriage, how long she was married, where she married, when she got divorced, etc.

The surviving members of my family are unsure when mum got divorced as they were too young... so I'm just having to guess a date range and hope I get it right.

Coupled with the process and cost of needing to re-register the house as mum threw the deeds away - I already made a thread moaning about that :p - this is all starting to get mildly frustrating ?
I’m having similar issues with probate do I need to submit my parents divorce papers if both have passed away with the last 10 months .. Iv had to apply for probate and now they asking for divorce papers but I’m struggling to find but my parents have both passed away my dad April 22 and recently my mom .. so do I still need the divorce papers

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Contact the Probate office, and ask them.
I suspect the wording of the Wills may be unclear.

Bod

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
probably do - you know he died recently/pre dec'd her - - probate office still need to check its all in order