Private rent and care home fees

Doeli70

May 22, 2022
Sorry if there is already a post regarding this but need help for my mum. My dad has AD. My mum has been looking after him with help from us but no carers. He is 79 . She is 75. Over the last two weeks his condition has worsened to the point where she is getting no sleep and I think the time is coming to consider a care home. She refuses to talk about it as she thinks she will have to leave her home and be homeless as all her money will have to pay for the care home. She is in a privately rented flat. Dad has a private pension . She just gets state pension but still works two days a week. They have no savings or investments other than 2000 pounds in premium bonds which they are saving for their funerals. If he was taken into a care home how would she pay for it and would she be able to stay in her flat? We are in Wales if that makes a difference. I'm not in a position to help her financially at all unfortunately. Any advice gratefully received.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Your mum will not have to pay any fees if your dad goes into residential care.
All of your dad's state pension will go towards his care, only half of his private pension will be taken, the other half will go to you. He will keep £35/wk MIA (minimum income amount)

He will first have to have a care assessment by the local authority who could decide on care at home rather than residential.

They could make an appointment at Age Cymru to discuss their circumstances in detail, there may be benefits available.

Cazcaz

Apr 3, 2021
The only slight query is, is she on the tenancy agreement. If she is, no problme, she’d be able to stay. But if it is privately rented and she is not an official tennant, that might change things.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
The only slight query is, is she on the tenancy agreement. If she is, no problme, she’d be able to stay. But if it is privately rented and she is not an official tennant, that might change things.
Yes thats true, but I shouldnt think that the landlord would want to evict her and then have to go through the hassle of finding another tenant and the loss of rental etc. I would expect that they would be happy to simply issue a new contract.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
The biggest issue is likely to be whether the OP has enough income to afford the rent on her flat. Even with half the husband's private pension she will be in the common situation of having to pay all the domestic bills alone, that were previously paid together.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Doeli70
A warm welcome to DTP

Your mum's concerns are understandable
As well as the AgeUK link these pages on the main AS site may help

Contact your parents' Local Authority Adult Services to arrange an assessment of your dad's care needs ... that will get things started ... after that there will be a financial assessment

I hope your dad is receiving Attendance Allowance and a disregard of Council Tax

You can also look into benefits your mum may be entitled to

Doeli70

May 22, 2022
She is on the tenancy agreement. However they are only just getting by now so if half his private pension and his state pension are gone she definitely won't be able to afford the rent. I doubt she would be able to afford anything!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
She is on the tenancy agreement. However they are only just getting by now so if half his private pension and his state pension are gone she definitely won't be able to afford the rent. I doubt she would be able to afford anything!
Check the benefits calculator to see what she might qualify for - that includes help with rent. Age UK are helpful in assisting claimants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife