1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Private Prescriptions

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by JoJo, Nov 7, 2003.

1. JoJo

JoJo Registered User

Sep 25, 2003
    Shropshire
    Hi all - some advice please! My dad will be told he has Alzheimers a week on Tuesday and we have been told there may be a waiting list for Aricept etc. If we ask for a private prescription - which we are willing to pay - we will get one or can the doc refuse?

Thanks

JoJo

2. Angela

Angela Registered User

May 28, 2003
    Wales
    Hi JoJo
    As far as I am aware it is only the diagnosing consultant that can issue the first prescription for this medication.
    I think you may find that the waiting list is to go to the memory clinic where other tests are carried out as to the suitabilty of the tablets.
    I really dont know if you can get this done privately, as that consultant will not have the knowledge that your current consultant has. Ask your fathers key worker, they should be able to advise.