Private physiotherapist with Alzheimers experience in liverpool area

sonyblue

Jul 31, 2017
My wife is in a care home in Liverpool due to me being in hospital and having complications which kept me there for nearly 9 weeks. She is now refusing to walk or stand. Trying to get a physiotherapist through NHS is taking too long. Has anyone any advise for this issue or experience in hiring a private physiotherapist with Alzheimers experience .

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Gentle persusasion from the carers will probably be more effective.

the problem with Physio ( if you get privately) you will pay a fortune and your PWD wont remember ( or be able to retain) the instructions or methods for say standing safely.

is the reluctance due to a fall ?

sonyblue

Jul 31, 2017
Gentle persusasion from the carers will probably be more effective.

the problem with Physio ( if you get privately) you will pay a fortune and your PWD wont remember ( or be able to retain) the instructions or methods for say standing safely.

is the reluctance due to a fall ?

Thanks Jessbow for your response.
I don't think she has had a fall as nothing has been reported back to me. I think she is afraid to stand in case she falls. Another problem is that she has to be in a hoist to get her into and out of bed. this she DOES NOT like. I keep trying to persuade her to stand, but as of yet,no joy. I,ve tried to tell her that if she stands and walks the hoist willl not be necessary. any advice on this.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Physios can only really be effective if the patient understands and can follow instructions. But simple logic does not help much anymore when dementia is in the mix, so if your wife refuses to stand, they can't make her. The only thing they could try to do is assess which support products might help her to stand and how you can support her with her mobility. A private physio won't be any more equipped for this than an NHS one, plus any equipment supplied by the NHS is free - a private physio won't do that for nothing.

Last edited: