Private message help

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Hi,

Sorry I am being a bit daft today and I really don't know what I am doing :eek:

So, I have private messages and I want to keep them, but I am only allowed to keep a certain amount. I tried to make a new folder and put them in there but it still had the same amount.

How do I keep them?

Thank you

Michele
xxx

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Michelle,

There are some tools built into the PM system to allow you to save one or many messages to your computer. I'm not sure if it's easier or more difficult than pasting them into Word as Sylvia has suggested (certainly that is the most straightforward way of saving messages and you can see exactly what you've got).

If anyone wants to look at the other methods, I'll do a quick explanation.

Looking the the PM screen for your Inbox, you'll see tick boxes down the right hand side and then at the bottom of the page is a pull-down menu of actions that you can take on the messages that you've ticked:

download_PM_text.jpg

The bottom three options allow you to download messages to your computer as a single file in one of three formats:

1. XML is probably not relevant for most people, so I'll skip it.

2. CSV = Comma Seperated Values, this is the format that would allow you to view the message in spreadsheet like Excel. This is not the friendliest way to view a message, but if someone really wanted to keep an archive of messages that they could sort by names, dates, search for terms, etc. a spreadsheet would be a handy way to manage all that data.

3. TEXT = a plain text file that can be opened by any word processing application, or even Notepad.

The text option is probably the easiest and if you wanted to save a group of messages from one specific member, you could tick their boxes and then download it as a text file.

If you tick multiple messages, they will all be downloaded as a single file, so you may have to scroll through the file to find the one message you want. Also, the system automatically gives the file a name based on your user name and today's date, for example privatemessages-Sandy-25-03-10.txt, but you can always give it a name of your choice.

Finally, if you want to save EVERYTHING in your mailbox, there is an option at the bottom of the page to do just that: Download all private messages as ...

Actually if you try that, the CSV option is good and then you can open all your messages (Inbox, Sent) in an Excel spreadsheet.

And FINALLY, most browsers will allow you to save a webpage as a file for offline viewing. So if you have a message that your looking at, try (in Internet Explorer) File > Save as > Web Archive (other browsers, versions of IE will be different) and give a filename.

You can then open the file with your browser (File > Open) and all the formatting and images will be preserved!

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Forgot to mention that downloading messages does not actually do anything to delete them from your PM system.

So you can try it out without fear of losing anything.

Any deletions have to be done as normal - a completely separate process.

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Saving PMs

Thanks Sandy - I'll have a go - my problem (as I have been copying & pasting to a word doc already) is that I like to keep one old one from each person who is not a friend and then I can easily PM them if I want to by hitting reply Rather than searching for them & sometimes failing through not getting the spelling right).

I don't want, or need, to greatly increase my friend group but I'm finding I run at 92% full most of the time because I've got x amount of messages saved in the in box or received box so I can easily contact people!!!

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Sue,

Have you ever thought about just adding those members to your Contacts list?

Contacts are a bit like Friends, but you don't send them a request that they have to accept. You just add them or delete them from your Contacts list as you choose.

You can access your Contacts from the Your Account menu (top left on green bar) and then choose Contacts and Friends.

You then get a visual listing of all your Contacts and Friends and also a dialog box to add new Contacts or Friends:

contacts.jpg

If you click on Add Contact then that person will be added to your Contacts list and you can click on their name to access their profile and send them a PM.

If someone is on your Contacts list, there will also be a + symbol next to their name on the Who's Online listing. Also, they may be able to read certain things like blogs if you have restricted access to just Contacts and Friends.

Take care,

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Contacts

Thanks Sandy - yes I can see how that works - I've tried to save, & succeeded, a couple of people as contacts who are not friends - it make my friends & contacts screen a bit over "busy" - I'd prefer a separate screen for each group. But never mind - it will work & will free up some PM space. I think that anyone (who is a registered member) can look to see who are my friends but contacts are private?

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Thanks Sandy - I see your point about the difference between Friends & Contacts & it gives me an opportunity to write to someone I recently declined as a friend and ask them if I could make them a contact instead. That person being fairly new might also appreciate knowing of the second system.

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Hi,

Sorry, maybe I am just being completely stupid today - but I really don't understand the difference between contacts and friends. OK, I understand the part where everyone can see your friends, but why is that a problem? So what do the contacts do? I also thought you could send anyone a PM?

Maybe I am just having a tired day today and nothing is sinking in :eek::eek:

Love
Michele
xx

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Well you can, if you wish, use Options in Your Account to say that you only wish to receive PMs from your contacts (in this case contacts means contacts and friends) and moderators. Otherwise, yes, if someone has their PM box open anyone can PM anyone else.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Michele,

I suppose I just wasn't very taken with the Friends feature when the forum upgrade took place, but I'm rather cautious about the whole 'social networking thing'.

As far as I can see from the privacy settings (for blog, albums, etc.), Friends work the same way as Contacts.

As for Sue (bookworm's) questions about details for PM purposes, I just remembered the Contacts Popup that you get through the Quick Links drop down menu:

contacts_popup.jpg

You can use this to quickly see who of your Friends/Contacts are online/offline and send PM's using the tick boxes on the right of the popup window and the button PM Users at the bottom.

contacts_popup2.jpg

Take care,

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Hi Michele - you can send anyone a PM unless they have disabled that feature - which isn't very common & as long as their box is not too full. I sometimes might think of someone that I've shared some good posts with and maybe haven't seen them for a while - & I can't remember exactly what their screen name is - so i can click on a person like that who I've made a contact & send a pm & if they have it set up that they get an email on receipt of a pm - then it might cheer them up to know they are being thought of. Or maybe when they next click on line - which might be at an odd time - there is a nice message for them.

I suppose it is about being able to find someone when their name is not on the board anywhere easy to find it like front page as logged on or a current or recnt thread that I could scroll through.

So - contacts are people who I'm maybe too shy to ask to be friends - or I think it might put them off if I asked just now but who I might like to communicate with privately sometime - or who have communicated with me......

That's a bit incomplete & simply personal view....;)

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Qucik links pop up contacts list

Hey - now I like that very much - & also, now I see how you can send a pm to more than one person at once!!!! Not that I've ever felt the need so far!! Thanks Sandy, x

Michele

Oct 6, 2007
Hi,

Well I think I am starting to get it now - it has taken me a while, but I think I am finally getting it :eek::):eek:

Thank you.

xxxx

Winnie Kjaer

Account Closed
Aug 14, 2009
Devon
can access your Contacts from the Your Account menu (top left on green bar) and then choose Contacts and Friends.

You then get a visual listing of all your Contacts and Friends and also a dialog box to add new Contacts or Friends:

If you click on Add Contact then that person will be added to your Contacts list and you can click on their name to access their profile and send them a PM.

If someone is on your Contacts list, there will also be a + symbol next to their name on the Who's Online listing. Also, they may be able to read certain things like blogs if you have restricted access to just Contacts and Friends.

Thank you Sandy, that was excellent info we learn here all the time.