Private memory clinic

Sighthoundmum

Mar 31, 2022
Just a quick question: would anyone recommend going to a private memory clinic?
Grandma was referred "urgently" to the memory clinic on the 6th of May, but we've heard nothing at all from them.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Don't hold your breath - people often have to wait 6 months or more.

The thing is, unlike, say, an urgent cancer referral, dementia isn't really time-sensitive. Timely diagnosis for cancer is really important so the person can receive treatment and have the best outcome. Dementia treatment is... pretty much non-existent. Sometimes meds can be given that will reduce symptoms somewhat but it depends on the person, their other medical conditions and the type of dementia they have. In other words, getting the diagnosis will not change much.

You can still get assessments for your Grandma even though she is undiagnosed and if self-funding you could just go ahead and get carers. etc. Also, get LPA if not already done.

You could certainly see a private consultant and skip the queue but I'm not sure it will achieve much.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Just a quick question: would anyone recommend going to a private memory clinic?
Grandma was referred "urgently" to the memory clinic on the 6th of May, but we've heard nothing at all from them.
It took 3 months for my mother in law to be seen at the memory clinic and that was pre covid .

Sighthoundmum

Mar 31, 2022
I think our angle is: even with an LPA in place, a lot of people won't talk to us without a diagnosis. And we're sort of in limbo. We know she's got dementia. We've been told that since it appeared after her TIA it's more than likely vascular dementia, it would just be good to know for certain.

Sighthoundmum

Mar 31, 2022
My grandmother was referred 'urgently' to the memory clinic 2 months ago. We still haven't heard anything. We decided to go private, and had an appointment within 2 weeks.
My gran has an LPA in place. I'm not a power of attorney, but since I'm the closest relative that can drive, I'm the one ferrying her to her appointments and basically taking care of the health side of things for her. In our case, we had a phone call off social services a week after her doctors appointment. Because I had already called them before to raise my concerns (even though they couldn't speak to me much) that seems to have expedited their response. Dementia Conect have also been a great help with advice, and so has this forum.
For the doctors visit/social worker/memory assessment, keeping a diary was extremely helpful. I also put together a list of things we had noticed and were concerned about, and wrote down specific dates next to those things. It's much more immediate and precise than saying 'sometimes' this happens..
When we went to the private clinic for assessment, they were brilliant. Standard urine/blood tests, ECG etc. Referred for a CT scan. I was told not to speak when she was talking to the Dr. I told them that if I was in the room, she would keep looking at me for answers, so I offered to stay outside. They asked me to go in anyway, I knitted while grandma and the Dr spoke. He did occasionally ask me for clarification. She's going for a CT scan next week, and hopefully we should get the results back soon after that.
I've been told that receiving a diagnosis won't change much, in our case. Most of what can be done for my gran is already being done, and we have plans in place for the future. Our main reasons for wanting her diagnosed are, ironically, her healthcare. Even with an LPA in place, a lot of times people will phone her about medical matters, appointments, prescriptions, etc. She doesn't understand most of these, and asks most people to call me instead. But quite often she forgets, and misses things, and if she tells them she's fine they'll take her word. If she ends up in our local A+E they still aren't allowing relatives in most of the time. Last time she was there, she told them she didn't take any medication and had no health issues.
Fingers crossed now for the results

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej