Private in-home care

sianchristina

Nov 24, 2021
Hello,

Both my parents have moderate dementia. We’re looking into live-in carers. Can anyone recommend any good introduction agencies? Or places to find good carers? Do you have any advice about how to go select the right people?

Best wishes and thanks,

Sian.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @sianchristina
a warm welcome to DTP

members aren't able to recommend care companies on the forums

however, if you put 'live in carer' (or similar terms) into the search box at the top of the page you'll be given suggestions of existing threads which may be useful

and have a look at the Directory of local services

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Be aware that if you use an introductory agency you will end up having to manage the live-in carer yourself (eg deal with problems, absences) and will probably end up in a relationship of employer/ employee with all that that entails. It is cheaper to use an introductory agency though because the agency is not managing the carer.

I don’t think that introductory agencies are covered by the CQC or are reviewed by the Homecare.co.uk site. You are therefore very much on your own. I suggest speaking to the elderly care nurse at your parents’ surgery as she may have some recommendations based on her experience of other patients who have live-in carers.

I do wonder whether it will be too much for one live-in carer to look after two people with dementia. It will depend on what their needs are and on how much support she will be getting from family members and perhaps visiting carers.

Davina40

Oct 7, 2021
Gloucestershire
I have used companies for home care in the day for dad. As I and sister can look after day in the evenings/ weekends. You can use it find live in carers. We also meet a carer or agency discuss our requirements. They may need to an assessment on your parents needs.
With live in carer there is more responsibility maybe best to meet the person first. To see if they get on with your parents. Would it be too much for one carer to do a whole week ? Or would it best to employ two carers to rotate? Questions to think about? Carer definitely needs to be experienced

Last edited by a moderator:

Carolyn Joy

Jan 26, 2021
Hi Sian, I have used live in carers for my mother a number of times. Going through an agency gives a degree of responsibility for their actions and training etc, but in reality the checks on them may not be what you would hope for. I have not gone independently to compare. My experiences are not good- with every carer, mum ended up being hospitalised through a fall, or latterly, dehydration leading to a acute urine infection. I suggest you spend at least 24 hours with any prospective carer and listen to your instinct as to whether they are genuinely a caring person. My experiences have lead me to believe that many live in carers do it more because it is a cheap and easy way to live, and do not genuinely care for their clients. Choose someone you get on well with as well as getting on with your parents- if you are overseeing them, you need a good relationship with them. Be aware that a paid carer will not care as well as you do, it will take them time to read and understand all the little signs that are given off, and instinctively know how to respond. I'm not saying don't do it, just choose carefully and find the right person. For short term care, I have decided not to do it again. For long term care, it is worth putting the effort in to find a good carer. Good luck!