princess Royal Trust carers centre

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I went to my local princess Royal Trust carers centre .

http://www.carers.org/local/

http://hoop.eac.org.uk/

The gave me this really good web site
A site for older people, their families, carers and advisors, and all those who work with and for them.

http://www.housingcare.org/

Also I am going to go do Reiki

Reiki treatment relax the body , balance the emotions and increase vitality hence provididing the right conditions for heaing to take place .

it can be used in conjunction with other therapies or orthodox medivhine.It works well with counselling and psychotherapy due to its deep emotional therapectic effect and intergrative influence .

Also Tui Na chinese Medical Massage .

All free to carers.

Also a Christmas dinner Greek meal :) :)

Not forgeting a stress Management Handbook :D

Last edited:

Whiskas

Oct 17, 2006
Corby
I've had reiki it's wonderful, I felt so relaxed. I could use some just now I'm trying to persuade my mum to go into respite just for 4 days and she isn't keen. Fortunately on one of the days she will be in I have an appointment for a massage and reiki, can't wait!!

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Try and do what I do don’t persuade her , pack her bags tell her the night before or on the day , a white lie say that you have to go to hospital or something .

I use to tell mum week or so before
It was a nightmare trying to persuade her , so I lern the hard way and now don’t tell her to the last moment

It is now generally accepted that People feel an unmanageable level stress because of the perceptions of the events rather than the actual events themselves, so imagine someone with dementia AZ, why put them under that stress that is only going to confuse worry them more, with all that is happening in there brain that’s why its better to tell them on the day , morning .

mother wets herself before going to the loo , gets back in to bed .

I take her wet clothes of don’t say anything hold her hand guild her to the shower

If I told her before hand that’s she going to have a shower , she get angry with me and say , wait till the morning till the carer come in and I end up arguing with her. I stay quite and guild her she just follow me and stands in shower. (perceptions of the events rather than the actual events themselves)

Thanks for leting me know how good it is :)

Last edited:

Whiskas

Oct 17, 2006
Corby
Thanks Margarita you are so right. Mum could always see an accident waiting to happen before she had dementia but it's obviously much much worse now. She has actually agreed to go next Friday just until Tuesday so I'm not going to say anything else about it until we go and I'll try not to spend the 4 days worrying about her and enjoy the break!!!!

Hope you enjoy the reiki, you deserve it.

Whiskas

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
hi margarita

carers.org is pretty good I reckon. I spent quite a while around there before dad was diagnosed with dementia and I moved on to TP. They had a very supportive chat room at the time (i guess it varies depending on who's around) which was brilliant for me when I needed it.

is the reiki through them? and the greek meal? sounds brilliant. hope you enjoy it.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Margarita

Our carer's centre is pretty good, too. I can get a massage, reiki, or indian head massage there once a month for £5.50. They bring in a professional, and they pay the difference. They also run coffee mornings, outings, etc, but that's more difficult because I can't leave John

I've also found them emotionally very supportive. Our Alzheimer Scotland rep had no interest in our recent problems, said it was physical, not mental health. I was (still am) very upset by this, because I've done a lot of work for them. Anyway, I went into the carer's centre and poured out my troubles and they took over.

Still haven't had any support from AS!!!

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Margarita, wonderful if there is something in your particular area, otherwise as usual you are on your own.

Skye/Hazel, am so sorry you feel you have not had the help you deserve from AS.
Unfortunately we are , again, a charity, and are only as good as the help we receive to pass on to you.

I have (worked) for the AS for a few years now, firstly in the capacity of Treasurer
for the local branch, nowdays just as a committee member. Hoping to do more in future, now that Lionel is being 'cared for'.

However we are never alone with the power, love, and help we all experience from TP. I bless the day I found this site. Love to all,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I am so glad that I am not alone in thinking on that issue in

That is what I was told , but that’s not the point is it , if it’s a mental issue or not as they say that the brain is organic and it’s a disease with AZ , and that mental illness does not lead to death , but it does all interlink as it does get very physiological with AZ , like metal illness so , one does need advice from a CPN .

And AZ society are not addressing this issue with the career and dismissing it , so not giving the career the therapeutic therapy , counseling that they need . leavening it all to the princess royal career group . I think it’s all to do with funding when it comes to the career and group with the AZ .

Thank god for TP other wise I would not of meet so many other people on line with a love one with AZ; I do wonder in my area where are all the people who care for a love one who has AZ.

Only going to a course that the SW, sent me to called “looking after me” did I meet 2 people that had someone with dementia.

Any courser run by the AZ society cost an arm and a leg to pay for.

Could you not get someone to sit with your husband while you go to a coffee meeting?

Áine is not the chat room , I am talking about , its the out side life from the internet , talking to people socialize , in person . the the Princess royal trust offer that if you go to your local group for the career’s . if we can get out side our home , when like my mother go to day center .

Or get someone to sit with our love one . Skye put it so right what I mean to say Anyway, I went into the carer's centre and poured out my troubles and they took over.

Say that to someone at the AZ day center and they say to you , oh you have not paid your mum Fees , oh dear I forgot I wonder could that be bacause I am so stress , what does stress mean , don't know if I am comeing or going , another worry another guilt thank-you won't happen agina , opps done it agina

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Margarita, wonderful if there is something in your particular area, otherwise as usual you are on your own.

again, a charity, and are only as good as the help we receive to pass on to you.

Yes connie , but so is the PRT group , and the AZ is also funded by each local authority , so if they is not a PRT group in someone area why can not they local AZ group offer one ?

Not a Criticism just a question

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Margarita

I'm so glad someone else has had a bad experience. I agree with you, AS is a charity, but most of its funding is from national or local government sources, and the person who (I feel) let me down so badly is a paid employee. Therefore it is her job to look after Alzheimer's sufferers and their carers.

I used to get on well with this person, until I was asked to do publicity for the national organisation (on a purely voluntary basis). Since then she has been so rude to me, I can only assume that she resents us getting the publicity.

One unfortnate result is that I can no longer do the publicity, as I have refused to praise the local branch. Another unfortunate result is that although John is now assessed for one day a week day care, she cannot find a place for him!

As you say, Margarita, thank goodness for PRT and TP.

Whiskas

Oct 17, 2006
Corby
local AS branch

What a shame people have had such bad experiences with their branch of AS. I can only speak from my experience but my branch is wonderful. I have had so much help and support from them. My Carers Support Worker has made the difference between coping and not coping and she does that for everybody I've spoken to.

My local PRT branch is great as well. I go to an ART and Craft session there every fortnight, well Art and chat session is probably a better title as we put the world to rights as well!!

TP has made a big difference to me too, thanks everybody, I don't post much but I read everything and I don't feel I'm on my own so much now.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Nada

Sorry about the confusion.......I meant Alzheimer Scotland. . Pity the initials are the same!

Alzheimer Scotland only derives 20 per cent of its income from donations and fundraising.

'Alzheimer Scotland is dependent on voluntary fundraised income for around 20% of its income each year. Although local authorities and health boards pay for services such as day care and home support, we need to raise money to maintain and expand our work helping people with dementia and their carers all over Scotland' Alzscot website.

But that's not really the point I was making.

Connie said 'Skye/Hazel, am so sorry you feel you have not had the help you deserve from AS.
Unfortunately we are , again, a charity, and are only as good as the help we receive to pass on to you.

For one thing, the worker who was so uncaring is not a volunteer, she has a full-time job with Alzheimer Scotland.

Secondly, 'deserve' is not the appropriate word. I am not asking for special treatment, only the service she is paid to provide. I would prefer the word 'need'.

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Whiskas said:
I can only speak from my experience but my branch is wonderful.

That's been my experience too Whiskas. There seemed to be direct link between psychiatrist and local branch, so as soon as dad was diagnosed they send out lots of leaflets along with a little map showing where their office was and an open invitation to drop in for info or to chat. When I went in they were really nice - coffee, use of library and info and long chat with someone about what was happening. She was really helpful in thinking things through and working out how to tackle things ...... and I left with her saying to get back in touch if anything else they could help with.

I didn't go back cos then I found TP ..... but they still send me a newsletter etc.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Donations and fundraising 39%
Legacies 18%
Investment income 3%
Grants and contracts 35%
Other income (including Trading) 3%
Membership contributions 2%

Nada what part of that includes

Money from the local Authority’s is that grants ?

Please don't ask me to ring my local centre, can just about fine time out for me and time on TP , which I enjoy
nada Are you talking about the Alzheimer's Society or Alzheimer Scotland?

Is Alzheimers Society not all inter link ?
Same Polices (sp) rule for all like the care with cancer research and they carers

PS Skye why not have a word with your social services , a social worker ( even if your self funded ) to talk to them , as I am sure they get funding from them, as SW works for your local authority , they may help you give them the push they need to get your husband in for one day

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Margarita

No, the two societies act indpendently. I believe they were once all one, but Scottish law differs slightly from English. For example, personal care is free in Scotland.

Also, the power of Attorney is slightly different -- even when it has been registered, the grantor is free to sign cheques etc. until he loses capacity. Also we have a Welfare POA.

As for the day care, I've tried SS, but they can't do anything, John needs an Alzheimer place, because he cannot communicate, and it is up to Alzscot who gets them.

However, PRT have done some stirring on my behalf, they at least know that I am at the end of my tether, so hopefully something will happen soon.

Thanks for the support.

Love,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
No sorry I meant Alzheimer day center , as in london if was my SW who got mum in to the AZ day center , If it was not for my SW , I would of not know that there was a AZ day center in london .

I new they was a day center for older people , but found out from SW she could not go there also because she had AZ . took a long time to get mum into the AZ day center , in the 1st place .

Now I have found out there another Day center for people with AZ and its free , Not run by the AZ socierty , but not sure to move mum just yet , as it may confuse her , with moveing house in jan , so am going to leave it till next Feb / march

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LDrew