Pressure relief mattresses...

jane@hotmail

Mar 13, 2008
Bedfordshire
Hi All, Mum is really struggling with the stairs at the moment and we feel a stairlift will be too difficult/confusing/scary for her. So we've decided to convert a room downstairs in to a floor level shower room and move her bedroom into the dining room. She has plenty of room downstairs so it makes sense to move her downstairs. She has a old double bed at the moment, I think when we initially move her it may be a good idea to move her familiar bed downstairs. It isn't ideal long term though, because it's too wide to be able to move her or really get to her without climbing on to the bed. She's also incontinent at night.

What mattress would you recommend? I plan to buy her a electrical adjusting bed, so I would need a mattress that suits that. She stays in one position when we put her to bed. Budget isn't really an issue.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations, I'd be very grateful. I don't want to make any costly mistakes because of my lack of knowledge.

Jane x

Charlyparly

Nov 26, 2006
Lancashire
Hi Jane,

An occupational therapist would be able to provide with you advice in this area. You could try contacting them directly and requesting a home assessment (or you may need to do this via a referral from your GP – not sure).

OT’s will provide you with info on the different types of equipment and aids which would be of benefit and in some cases, may even provide these for you.

:)

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
Jane, I had similar problems tho the problem was also different in that my kitchen and everything is upstairs. The lift would have been strictly to get her in and out of the house. Tho' I found several which also have remotes for me to work as she goes up/down the stairs.

My point has nothing to do with the previous. If I were you I would go ahead and get her an electric bed. 2 reasons:

1...changing a diaper on a regular bed gets very old quick...even if they do stay in one place. YOUR back will thank you.

2...you will already be changing her enviroment and you can use the excuse of "fixing" up her room to get her to accept the change.

Have been in your position within the past year. When you take her comfort in mind also take yourself in mind. Caregivers all to often let themselves go, which is not healthy to your patient either.

HUGS

Nancy

CassElle

Jun 7, 2005
Blackpool
Beds and Pressure Mattress

Hi Jane, Take a look at the following link - Mum has this bed and a high profile mattress. It has proved invaluable in the three years she has had it. We have had no problem with pressure sores (touch wood!). She too never moves off her back.

The bed is of a high quality and pleasing on the eye. It has many features including the ability to be highered and lowered, which makes it easy on your back. It comes with safety rails - and you can also buy an extension to make the side even higher - if needed. In addition, you can buy the padded sides. Hope you find the link of interest.:)

http://www.dayshealthcare.com/view_product.php?prodid=364

Casselle

jane@hotmail

Mar 13, 2008
Bedfordshire
Hi Casselle,

Thanks so much. The beds look just the sort of thing we're looking for..... You mentioned that you had the 'High profile' mattress. I wasn't sure which one was the high profile. Is it a foam or airflow mattress. I've heard that the airflow ones are excellent for preventing pressure sores, but can they be used on an electric bed? And what about memory foam.... If anyone wants to share their knowledge I'd be grateful.

Jane x

citybythesea

Mar 23, 2008
coast of texas
A friend of mine doesn't recommend memory foam as they conform and don't really offer a standard of support away from areas that cause sores. Course that is only his opinion. As for the air mattress...what I have goes on top of the mattress and keeps a level of air between her and the mattress. Her bed is also electric.

HUGS

Nancy