Present ideas

natwhitney

Sep 22, 2015
Hi,
I know it's a bit early but I've started to think about Christmas presents and my mum suffers from dementia, unfortunately I'm struggling with what to get her. The complication being she's only 53 (I'm 22) but her dementia is quite advanced and she can no longer read or write, and struggles to express herself.

Has anyone got some ideas for me?

Thanks in advance.

Weary

Aug 1, 2014
We bought MIL a sensory activity fiddle cushion which she loved. Its a colourful cushion with all different sorts of things sewn on and diffdrent patches of textures some of which make sounds that that can fiddle with. She loved the bright colours and the one we bought her had lots of ribbons which she spent hours tying and untying knots on. You can find them on ebay and there are lots to choose from.

For a cheap gift a rummage box is a good idea - you can fill it with lots of different objects all shapes colours and textures - your imagination is the only limit! If she is pretty far gone a babys activity centre can be a good present. Hope some of this helps :)

Last edited:

natwhitney

Sep 22, 2015
We bought MIL a sensory activity fiddle cushion which she loved. Its a colourful cushion with all different sorts of things sewn on and diffdrent patches of textures some of which make sounds that that can fiddle with. She loved the bright colours and the one we bought her had lots of ribbons which she spent hours tying and untying knots on. You can find them on ebay and there are lots to choose from.

For a cheap gift a rummage box is a good idea - you can fill it with lots of different objects all shapes colours and textures - your imagination is the only limit! If she is pretty far gone a babys activity centre can be a good present. Hope some of this helps :)

Thank you, that's certainly an idea, all I've thought of so far is music, but I seem to have exhausted that avenue with the last few birthday/christmas presents.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Hi,
I know it's a bit early but I've started to think about Christmas presents and my mum suffers from dementia, unfortunately I'm struggling with what to get her. The complication being she's only 53 (I'm 22) but her dementia is quite advanced and she can no longer read or write, and struggles to express herself.

Has anyone got some ideas for me?

Thanks in advance.

Can she watch DVDs ... Old remember the days type, music CDs of music she liked ?
My dad likes one of old pub songs .

alwaysfretting

Jan 1, 2015
Some of the presents we've bought for mum that have been successful have been Alzheimer's clock calendar, heated cushion, lap tray, colouring books and pens, photo phone, photo collage, puzzle subscription.

MrsPuff

Aug 23, 2015
Clothes can be good, especially nice warm knitwear - the only trouble is making sure its easy to put on and take off, and that its the right size! (Also make sure its machine washable - nothing quite like trying to get various stains out of a hand-wash only cardi!)

ElizabethAnn

Jan 4, 2014
Northumberland
We've just bought dad a Photo Lap Tray - which I've personalised with 5 photographs of family.

They already use lap trays, so I know it will get used, whether the photos will help or not I don't yet know... birthday next week...

It was £15 from a local department store - and have just done a search on google and found it "on sale" in a national Hobby DIY chain for £10 (Happy to PM you the link)

Quite impressed with the quality and not too fiddly to get the photos in, with a bit of patience, scissors and glue.

Elizabeth.