Preparing to be a full time carer

Nicky

Sep 5, 2005
East Sussex
:eek: We have invited Mother-in-law to move in with us in December as her current arrangements of a flat by my Sister--in-law are fast breaking down. She was so relieved as although she tries ( tho' is also 'trying'!) she is aware of no longer coping and getting things wrong. So many people though, especially those in the caring professions, keep telling me I'm mad to do it. Only one friend who has experience of in-laws is encouraging of the decision to keep her with the family and her familiar surroundings as long as possible. She stays with us at week-ends and recently for 2 weeks. We have some great laughs together still. Do other people doing this have positive experiences or will it all go pear-shaped once she is with us for good? I'll keep you posted!!

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Well done Nicky for even thinking about this arrangment. Will it go pear shape - who knows. Everybody is different, their expertise, their compassion will determine how this will work out. Nothing is set in stone, so if it feels right for you, and M i L then go for it. Please let us know how things pan out. Connie

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Nicky, if the present situation isn't working, then what have you got to lose. Give it a go, if it doesn't work out, then at least you will have tried. It is not going to be easy, but you already know that. As things get harder, and they will, make sure you enlist help, SS or agency, to help you cope. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can do it all 24/7. This is what breaks carers down, doing it all. Delegate, make sure you get time away from caring. If you are lucky, it will work out. Hope it does. Love She. XX

Nicky

Sep 5, 2005
East Sussex
Thanks for the replies, I have already got quite a few offers of help and a place she could spend a bit of respite time, though I know she will strongly resist that one! Also the family are all great so will do their bit. I know it will also be hard work but even if it is only for a short while I think it is the right move as she is still so aware of everthing around her.