"Preparing for a challenging winter 2020/21"

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak

That makes grim reading.

I didn't realise cold weather was so significant:

Cold winter temperatures contribute to increases in cardiorespiratory disease and increase the survival time of respiratory viruses. There is cumulative evidence that mortality, especially among the elderly, and demand for healthcare services in the UK are linked to cold temperatures: for every 1oC temperature drop below 5oC, respiratory infections increase by 10-20%

Also interesting to read that only 5-10% of the population have been infected so far (15% in some areas) and that 70% + is needed to achieve herd immunity.

I've only read the first 20 pages (and much of the medical terminology goes over my head) but it paints a horrifying scenario once winter flu arrives and people are getting that AND covid-19.

I have 2 pieces of advice: 1) take your vitamin D and 2) keep your windows open.

And keep fingers firmly crossed.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I didn't realise cold weather was so significant:

Covid thrives at 4°C, Melbourne Australia currently in lockdown could be around that temperature.
The report criticises modern houses with little ventilation in winter and low humidity, the low humidity causes any droplets, either in the air or fallen on surfaces and still viable, to evaporate into aerosols.

Last edited:

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I am terrible. I am a smoker and I always have windows open in the house even when the heating is on :eek: (Yes, I know, I know!)

However... I haven't had a cough, cold or similar ailment in the last 20 years or so.

Hippocrates gave us the theory of the Four Humours (that need to be in balance for perfect health) and his ideas were largely followed by 'physicians' till the 19th century. But my received wisdom comes from my gran who used to say you need to keep a window open at night to let the Bad Humours out. Maybe there's something in that after all. :)

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
So when winter comes it may be wise to keep a bowl of water near a radiator to boost humidity. Plus hope for a mild, wet winter, not a cold, dry one. At least in the uk we tend to have reasonably high humidity as we have a maritime climate. It will probably be worse in cold continental climate.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
it may be wise to keep a bowl of water near a radiator to boost humidity.

If you increase the humidity too much in a recent build lack of air movement in corners, behind curtains which are not moved,...in unused rooms can lead to mould formation even with the trickle vents open.

For several years all new build has to be leak proof in order to pass part L of the building regs, not using rooms, leaving trickle vents closed, blocking open vents, not keeping extract vans in good order can lead to still air with the above affect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa