Predatory Marriages

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
I saw on twitter an article by a lady who was the daughter of a 91yo PWD and when her mother died she found out that her mother had (unknowingly!) been married to someone for 5 months. She had severe alzheimers when the "marriage" took place. but the man was able to say that she just had a stroke and so couldn't communicate properly. The marriage then automatically invalidated the will and when she died he got everything.

It was such a sad story and it makes me fume that there are people out there taking advantage in such an appalling way. Apparently it's not as uncommon as you'd think and registrars aren't trained to really look out for this.

Anyways, not sure why I'm posting but I had no idea about this kind of thing!

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Wow. That's unbelievable. You'd think if someone couldn't communicate verbally they would at least have to sign something to say that they agreed to the marriage. You'd also think the registrar would have the sense to question a 91 year old getting married - it would immediately raise red flags with me. I should think it is quite unusual anyway, and rather suspicious if no family are there.

I would think that there is a case for the family to contest the will.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
For a wedding outside of church you have to give notice to the registrar in person. You do have to answer quite a few questions when you are there. You can do this together or separately so I would have thought one person would not have been able to do all the talking.
Could it not have been annulled due to lack of capacity?

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
Shocking! When I got married I was terrified they wouldn't let me get married because they might ask me my husband's favourite colour or something else completely wild which I could easily get wrong. They didn't but I had to have a lot of ID and answer quite a few legal type questions and we were NOT allowed to be together for the questions, and the answers had to match. I can only imagine that it was able to be circumvented due to the 'stroke'? But surely would be able to be annulled? Totally wrong.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
According to the article the registrar stated that the couple had been interviewed separately prior to the marriage, and the lady was 'fine' on the day. The family only found out about the marriage after their mother had died, and a marriage can only be annulled after one party has died if it was bigamous or incestuous. The family have been campaigning for several years for changes in the law to prevent this happening to others.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
It's just dreadful - what a situation! When I read the article it really boiled my **** - pardon my language.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I worried about this some time after my mum died. Dad had a lovely neighbour who was about the same age as him and she appeared to be rather sweet on dad but it was short lived as she became worried about his memory and started to avoid him. She actually moved away soon after so I needn't have worried about it at all.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
It's just dreadful - what a situation! When I read the article it really boiled my **** - pardon my language.
On a lighter note, I have never heard that slightly rude expression before! Perhaps a regional phrase?

Last edited by a moderator:

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Not sure that it's regional but if you do an internet search it comes up in the 'Urban Dictionary' as meaning feeling extremely angry!

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Full details about the case are here: https://www.justiceforjoan.com/stories
I have read this appalling story. Do post any updates if you know of them. Especially if you think others can help.
As an aside, I have (as venue staff member) seen dozens of civil marriages take place and it is usual for the happy couple to see the registrars beforehand together. The couple have a choice and sometimes do it separately, usually because the bride doesn't want her fiancé to see her dress until she makes an entrance! Of course I have never had a PWD wedding at the venue.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joanne Formby