Precision Medicine Approach to Alzheimer’s Disease

Pakiza

Jun 18, 2020
Hi,

Just posting a link which I got in my feed today...

Precision Medicine Approach to Alzheimer’s Disease: Successful Proof-of-Concept Trial​

... or rather... I am not allowed to since I haven't posted 10 posts yet, or am I on the wrong forum maybe... hope I didn't overlook any (other) rules. Sorry, if I did... Well in any case, I guess that if you copy the title combined with medrxiv . org you might be able to find it yourself :)
Hope it's interesting. Have a wonderful day!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Pakiza

I`m sorry you have struggled to post a link but sometimes it`s for the best.

I connected to the link you tried to post to find this notice;

This article is a preprint and has not been peer-reviewed [what does this mean?]. It reports new medical research that has yet to be evaluated and so should not be used to guide clinical practice.

It is heartening to know there is research being undertaken all over the world but unless it is tried and tested, then approved by regulation, there is little value in posting it on the forum.

Please post when you want to share experiences or ask for support from other members.

Pakiza

Jun 18, 2020
Ah yes... I was thinking that it was good news to know, even though it weren't my personal experiences, but of course, I understand.
I can't see how to remove the post...

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Pakiza
If you want to remove this thread, the best way is to self report it by using the Report button on the first post and ask one of the moderators to remove it.

Now you have found us, though, do have a mooch around the forum. There is vast collective knowledge on here and you can ask anything or share your experiences.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Peer re iewing is a system that every published scientific paper should undergo. It simply means that others working in the same, or similar, fields have read the paper and agree that it all makes sense, and the conclusions are correct.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Ah yes... I was thinking that it was good news to know, even though it weren't my personal experiences, but of course, I understand.
I can't see how to remove the post...

I apologise. There is always value in posting about current research as long as it`s seen for what it is.

There is no need to move this post @Pakiza . It is informative.

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
Precision medicine is really just a catchphrase for slightly more joined-up thinking when studying diseases, and is often to do with the enormous strides in understanding and being able to analyze genes on a large scale. It is being used with good effects in understanding cancers and inherited diseases like MS and diabetes. This article to me is hopeful because it’s about applying precision medicine to one of the most complex and difficult diseases of all, our old friend AD! a sign that the disease is getting more attention and effort thrown at it.

Like current cancer research, the timescale is such that it probably won’t do much for most of us who have had to join this club here and now. But maybe it will be better for the next generation. Meanwhile we have to keep trying to survive and share our experiences with anyone who will listen. We are doing an important service in our own way, trying to make life better for our LO and ourselves and recording our findings here for those who come after to access. We are researchers too!

Pakiza

Jun 18, 2020
Hi @Pakiza
If you want to remove this thread, the best way is to self report it by using the Report button on the first post and ask one of the moderators to remove it.

Now you have found us, though, do have a mooch around the forum. There is vast collective knowledge on here and you can ask anything or share your experiences.
Ahaa, thank you @canary Good to know and I will ?

Pakiza

Jun 18, 2020
I apologise. There is always value in posting about current research as long as it`s seen for what it is.

There is no need to move this post @Pakiza . It is informative.

Oh, ok.
By the way, no need to apologise. I'm new here and got a bit overexcited maybe ?

Pakiza

Jun 18, 2020
Precision medicine is really just a catchphrase for slightly more joined-up thinking when studying diseases, and is often to do with the enormous strides in understanding and being able to analyze genes on a large scale. It is being used with good effects in understanding cancers and inherited diseases like MS and diabetes. This article to me is hopeful because it’s about applying precision medicine to one of the most complex and difficult diseases of all, our old friend AD! a sign that the disease is getting more attention and effort thrown at it.

Like current cancer research, the timescale is such that it probably won’t do much for most of us who have had to join this club here and now. But maybe it will be better for the next generation. Meanwhile we have to keep trying to survive and share our experiences with anyone who will listen. We are doing an important service in our own way, trying to make life better for our LO and ourselves and recording our findings here for those who come after to access. We are researchers too!

Oh, thank you @AwayWithTheFairies for explaining this and yes, I too hope it will for the next generation. In any case, it's too late for my mother, she already passed away. I'm still interested in knowing more about it though, because it was devastating to see how it affected her.

Pakiza

Jun 18, 2020
Peer re iewing is a system that every published scientific paper should undergo. It simply means that others working in the same, or similar, fields have read the paper and agree that it all makes sense, and the conclusions are correct.

Thank you @Spamar