Precious time

liz56

Feb 15, 2015
North Somerset
I planned for 20 mins peace to do some work - Dad sat down with newspaper, glasses on his nose, mug of ovaltine beside him. Perhaps he will look at headlines and pictures for a while. Switched on laptop and guess what ' 58 updates ' ! So that's my 20 mins work time wasted. Thank you Microsoft

Emily M

Jan 20, 2015
I planned for 20 mins peace to do some work - Dad sat down with newspaper, glasses on his nose, mug of ovaltine beside him. Perhaps he will look at headlines and pictures for a while. Switched on laptop and guess what ' 58 updates ' ! So that's my 20 mins work time wasted. Thank you Microsoft

Just a thought, but shouldn't the computer just automatically update without requiring you to do anything, but still allowing you to work on it? There have been an awful lot of updates recently - two lots yesterday, one today.

liz56

Feb 15, 2015
North Somerset
Just a thought, but shouldn't the computer just automatically update without requiring you to do anything, but still allowing you to work on it? There have been an awful lot of updates recently - two lots yesterday, one today.

Seemed like pretty big updates, wouldn't let me do anything until completed !

Emily M

Jan 20, 2015
All was well in the end - he slept for an hour after lunch !

That's good. I do not know what system you have but I have Windows 7 and I have listed the sequence for changing the way that updates are installed on mine:-

Select Start (bottom left corner)
Control Panel
System and Security
Windows Update
Change settings (top left of screen)

The heading at the top of the page now reads “Choose how Windows installs updates”

Under “Important updates” click on the arrow in the box underneath and from the options select – “Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.”

Under “Recommended updates” – tick the box for “give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates.”

(There are other boxes you can choose to tick for various other options)

Click on OK at the bottom of the page.

I have my computer set this way. If there are updates you can install them when you want so it doesn't slow the system when you are busy. When I log in, if there are updates my computer flashes up a message in the bottom right corner saying updates are available to install. If it says that it needs to shutdown after installing the updates you can also select to postpone this if you are busy.

If your computer is slow you may need to do a disk cleanup. There are several ways to do this and how you do it depends on the system. Post again if you need help.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I don't know about anyone else but updates from Microsoft gave me so many hassles that I won't download them anymore. The PC is old (Vista) and apparently it is not unusual to have these problems and believe me I use to spend hours trying to sort them out and would tear my hair out with frustration. It didn't help to have OH breathing down my neck wanting to check his emails and offering advice that was totally useless.

So I decided to stop the updates to see what would happen. No more hassles! No more hassles! It was as if someone had waved a magic wand over it! Of course the PC is still slow but a little bit of housekeeping helps a lot.

And next time I buy a PC it won't be anything to do with Microsoft.

Perdita

Jun 22, 2009
Suffolk, Uk
I don't know about anyone else but updates from Microsoft gave me so many hassles that I won't download them anymore. The PC is old (Vista) and apparently it is not unusual to have these problems and believe me I use to spend hours trying to sort them out and would tear my hair out with frustration. It didn't help to have OH breathing down my neck wanting to check his emails and offering advice that was totally useless.

So I decided to stop the updates to see what would happen. No more hassles! No more hassles! It was as if someone had waved a magic wand over it! Of course the PC is still slow but a little bit of housekeeping helps a lot.

And next time I buy a PC it won't be anything to do with Microsoft.

My main computer is an iMac which is a joy compared with my laptop especially where updates are concerned.'When you're ready:) '