PRE-PAID FUNERAL PLAN

MonkeyHanger

May 26, 2022
Hello,

I am a new member of this forum and I am looking for some guidance about whether I am allowed, as Power of Attorney, to take money from my Mother's bank account to pay for her funeral in advance. I have just been told that I have to restart paying for her care home fees and her savings are going to disappear really quickly so I would prefer to pay for her funeral in advance while the money is still there. Thank you in advance.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Yes I think you can purchase a pre paid funeral.

Dont think you can just put money to one side though, ready to pay

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes I think you can purchase a pre paid funeral.

Dont think you can just put money to one side though, ready to pay
Yes, exactly this.
Its considered a good practise

Edit to add - dont use the plans where you pay a small amount each week - pick a reputable funeral company and pay for the whole lot up front.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Edit to add - dont use the plans where you pay a small amount each week - pick a reputable funeral company and pay for the whole lot up front.
Also check that your chosen funeral director and plan provider each accept the other.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
There is a change coming up that pre payment funeral organisers have to sign up to a finance protection plan. Change takes place from 29th July.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I arranged a funeral plan for my wife as this seemed like a good use of capital as well as keeping it below the upper threshold for LA contribution to care costs. Her plan was paid by an initial substantial single payment then 12 monthly payments by direct debit from her current account (administered by me as Attorney). Due to her age she was not eligible to pay smaller amounts over a longer period. The Plan provider required a copy of the LPA and was happy to receive it electronically.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
I took financial advice on this as it is not only inevitable that my father will die, but is likely to be made bankrupt and I also know he wouldn't have wanted us to pay for his funeral. He had told me what he wanted some years ago (if you asked him now he's probably expecting a state funeral complete with those horses with feather plumes coming out of their heads!)
I called the local funeral director and asked them which plan they would accept and purchased it outright for him - so it is hopefully sorted. The financial advisor suggested this was a good use of funds and that it was unlikely to be asked to be rolled back to pay a creditor - especially now as it was some time ago. I realise purchasing outright is not the best value but it's definitely worth it for our peace of mind.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Look at local funeral directors websites. National companies like The Co-op do these

Avoid any Plan like those Michael Parkinson or Angela Rippon need to promote on daytime TV

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Sadly some people have had issues with some pre paid plan providers. Many of those advertised on TV are not covered by Financial Conduct Authority, therefore you payments are not protected and a pre paid plan not guaranteed if the company goes bust. As suggested, go with a well named high street brand but also check your payments are protected.

Wildflowerlady

Sep 30, 2019
I sorted a pre plan funeral out for my dad was simple to do, sadly my dad actually died not long after. I went to the co-op as they did mums funeral. The full amount had to be paid up front due to dads age 86 sister and I agreed on the plan which was closest to mums funeral had no plan for her. I think they had three plans at the time which was 2021 we didn't have a car for family as didn't need it.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i have paid for my husbands cremation only plan. he doesnt want a service or people crying over him so hes having an unwitnessed cremation which they bring me his ashes. these will be spread in devon. we can then have a meal or something to celebrate his life rather than funeral. its what he wanted.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Mum had a pre-paid funeral plan. (Actually she had two, but one was a cash payout and the other was an actual funeral so she benefitted from both.)

For me, the best part was that when she died, I didn't have to do anything. The care home phoned the funeral directors to let them know, then all the rest just happened - moving the body, etc, etc. I wouldn't have known where to start so it was a big help for me. I'll definitely be buying one myself. (Soon!)

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27