Praying on the vulnerable

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
I have POA over my mums bank accounts. I routinely check the incomings and outgoings, as she still has a debit card which she does use on occasion (not very often, but she actually remembers the PIN)
Today I checked online banking to see a debit card transaction for £170 made payable to 'Appliance Secure'. I immediately rang my mum to ask if she had made any payments with her card. she insisted 'no' and had she had any phone calls - no. 'you wouldn't give your card details over the phone would you?' - again 'no'

I went online and found a telephone number for this company and rang them, It seems she has paid (over the phone) for Sky box insurance. SHE DOESNT EVEN HAVE SKY!

the woman was helpful and said she would cancel it and refund the money to the card, but I needed to cancel by letter when the paperwork arrived. I said 'how can they do this when she isn't even a Sky customer?' she skated around that. I asked for her details to be removed.

it seems that about a month ago my brother intercepted a phone call about the same thing. how can they do this? absolutely shocking! how many people can get ripped off like this? it has really annoyed me

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Best way to deal with that is to scrape off the security number from the back after noting it. Without that the rest is no use over the phone.

carol4444

Feb 5, 2014
Just managed to stop my mum writing a cheque for £8000 for a double glazing salesman. I have now installed a BT call blocking phone and no calls can get through unless they are programmed into the phone. The phone came from the never knowingly undersold company. There was a drawback as the Dr couldn't get through but the Drs now know they have to call directly, not through their 'number unavailable' system .

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point mobile app

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Yes although it may have drawbacks I think that call blocking phone is a good idea. My Mum has been in a home for over a year now and is on the TPs system, for what good it does, but I am amazed at the number of dodgy sales calls that still go to her old home number.

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
Update

Just an update on this. 8 days later - still no paperwork - still no refund. I rang back and they said they were waiting for my letter. I asked - how can I send a letter on a non existent policy - nothing at all through the post!!

The woman I spoke to took my details and said she would call me back today after she had consulted someone else.

Still nothing 2.5 hours later!

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Point out you'll contact the press over their company mis-selling to a vulnerable old person???