praying for a quick end!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
BP, I can give you an even more unbiased view on the "compare and contrast" front. My dad dropped dead of a heart attack watching a football match in the 1980s and was dead on arrival at hospital. (I won't tell you which team he was supporting as I don't take kindly to the jokes that sometimes follow!)

Right now I'm going through the final stages of dementia with Mum. Nobody can say whether it'll be hours, days or weeks. I so wish she was unconscious so she didn't know about it. Yesterday and today she has eaten and drunk a little and I don't know whether to be glad or sorry as it will probably just prolong the end - last time this happened she wasn't quite as ill but once she started eating and drinking she recovered. And her quality of life before she deteriorated two weeks ago was already nil so I am unable to view positively the possibility that she might come back again.

It was certainly the most unimaginable shock for all my family when my dad died but I sure as anything know which I would prefer for myself and for my family and it's not what my mother's going through now.

My father died of cancer at 72 and while it was awful at the time it was relatively quick, and he was still my father, if you know what I mean - a rational, lovely man who had not descended into any of the frailties or indignities of old age. I would have hated for him to have to go through what my mother at 96 has been suffering for so long - so many years of dementia and she is now a most pitiful shell of the person she was. It will be sad in one way when she is finally gone, but it will also be a profound relief that she is finally out of it .
It was similar with my in laws - my lovely MIL died too young, only 68, whereas FIL went on into his late 80s, a pitiful shell with advanced dementia.

I know what I would prefer for myself - I would hate my children to have to see me decline as my mother has, with the worry and stress and feeling of loss of it all. I don't mind admitting that I often envied my sister in law, whose parents both died very suddenly of heart attack and stroke in their early 80s without ever having suffered any serious physical or mental decline first. Of course both were shocks at the time, but so much less distressing in the long run for both the person and their family.

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
It's very cruel how are lovely people are taken from us.

Dad went relatively quickly and mum is quite well but the Alzheimer's is taking my mum from me bit by bit. I want to make some new curtains and mum and I would have got the job done in a jiffy. I can't even be bothered to go out and buy the fabric.

I miss her so much.

Hope you are all not suffering Vicki.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet