Practicalities of transport from hospital to home

Exning

Aug 26, 2018
Help!
Another stage of my saga of getting MIL from hospital to care home 400 miles away. Been asked if I would do transport but really not sure MIL up to travelling in my car.
MIL is 89 and pretty immobile. Can walk short distances with Zimmer but spends most of day in chair by hospital bed. She used to walk much better before this hospitalization but not being encouraged to walk.
Question is what should I be looking at in terms of transportation.
Quote for private ambulance £3500. Seems a bit excessive. Thought I might hire a more suitable car which makes getting in and out easier...or should I get one that a wheelchair can go in.
Have already asked for advice but am not holding breath.
I know the transport should be sorted by hospital/social services but .....
Practical and realistic advice would be appreciated.
Weighs 9st( 57kg) and reluctant to assist in getting into or out of my car...Citroen Picasso C3.
Which cars are old immobile friendly?
Any other suggestions?

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Help!
Another stage of my saga of getting MIL from hospital to care home 400 miles away. Been asked if I would do transport but really not sure MIL up to travelling in my car.
MIL is 89 and pretty immobile. Can walk short distances with Zimmer but spends most of day in chair by hospital bed. She used to walk much better before this hospitalization but not being encouraged to walk.
Question is what should I be looking at in terms of transportation.
Quote for private ambulance £3500. Seems a bit excessive. Thought I might hire a more suitable car which makes getting in and out easier...or should I get one that a wheelchair can go in.
Have already asked for advice but am not holding breath.
I know the transport should be sorted by hospital/social services but .....
Practical and realistic advice would be appreciated.
Weighs 9st( 57kg) and reluctant to assist in getting into or out of my car...Citroen Picasso C3.
Which cars are old immobile friendly?
Any other suggestions?

Hi

One possibility may be to hire a wheelchair adapted vehicle? I've just googled it and there appears to be a number of hire companies that do this? I've included a link to one that was at the top of the search but obviously you'd have to click to get a quote and I've no knowledge of what they're like. There may be other/better alternatives but hopefully, it may steer you in the right direction (ooh-err - pardon the pun:D).

http://www.adaptedvehiclehire.com/our-vehicles/#wavs

Good luck.
Phil

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Hiring any vehicle would be best from a chain so you can pick up in hospital area and return in care home area.
Looking at the £3500 quote if there are airports near each end you could price up flying with free hidden disability assistance at both ends.