Practical Help

Rosie4u

Jun 22, 2017
South Manchester
Hi, just wondering if there is anything out there which shows you how to help someone to shower in a confined space without getting too wet - Any advice / experience??

On a more serious note - my OH getting more agitated / speech terrible / had first seizure yesterday. Has anyone any experience of anti seizure drugs or anything given for agitation ? I could cope with agitation but he is getting so distressed.

I feel like just entering a new phase -and am thinking daily help to get up / washed etc ?

Thank as usual for all your help
:):(

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Hi Rosie4u

My Dad showers my Mum in their en-suite shower and he now strips off to avoid getting soaked as the shower door can't be closed. He also puts towels on the floor to soak up any excess. Luckily the shower head can be twisted so the spray doesn't have to be on full blast mode! :D

There are anti-depressant drugs that help with agitation (my Mum is on menantine and trazadone) but they may not be safe to give someone who has seizures. Your GP or Memory Clinic should be able to recommend what would be safest.

Peachez

Jun 19, 2016
South East England
Hi Rosie4u

My Dad showers my Mum in their en-suite shower and he now strips off to avoid getting soaked as the shower door can't be closed. He also puts towels on the floor to soak up any excess. Luckily the shower head can be twisted so the spray doesn't have to be on full blast mode! :D

There are anti-depressant drugs that help with agitation (my Mum is on menantine and trazadone) but they may not be safe to give someone who has seizures. Your GP or Memory Clinic should be able to recommend what would be safest.

I was going to suggest getting in too, if there's a shower head in the main bathroom too, then I'd use that and get them to stand in the bath. When I was nursing we had wet rooms with a lot more space than an en suite... used to wear plastic aprons, one on the front and one on backwards.

My OH is on anti seizure drugs as has temporal lobe epilepsy as well as MCI. They've made a big difference to our daily life, would hate him to be without them.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I direct operations from beside the shower, but when the time comes...I’ll join him in there.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
After my husband had a bad fall in the shower cabinet I had it stripped out and a walk in shower installed with wet wall instead of tiles and a waterproof tiled floor. Total cost was £4000 or so with £600 off because you do t pay VAT if the work is for someone disabled. The doctor wrote a letter for the builder listing John's dementia and other issues so no work in claiming the tax back.

I never get wet now and it is straightforward showering him.

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
As part of my professional care job, I helped a gentleman to shower, and got drenched the first few times. I never actualy used them as I think my client moved on but I bought a pair of flip flops and a poncho to wear over my clothes. I did use the booties provided by work- they are like plastic bags you wear over your shoes/socks- if you have ever visited a National Trust house on a rainy day you may have had to slip a pair on over your shoes.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I used to shower OH with him standing in the bathtub, using a detachable shower head, and I never got wet.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
When we moved house I had our ensuite shower room changed into a semi-wet room. The shower is walk in with no small step or lip to get over. I had a shower screen fitted which is split in the middle horizontally. That meant that the carer stood at the closed lower half and opened the top half to wash him. We also used a shower seat which meant that it was easier to manage the washing. When I showered my husband I just got in the shower with him.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Don't need it at the moment but in the past I used a shower chair with arms to make it easier for OH to stand. The best thing we have is a hand held shower and I am able to direct all the water away from me and the bathroom floor. I wear a water proof apron (Harrod's, bought in London in 1985) which is handy when I am helping him out of the shower.