PPE masks and where I stand with this?

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
Does anyone know of course bearing in mind unprecedented time and all that. I can get a mask exempt certificate of course wearing a full PPE visor on a garden visit at least 2m distanced but the main reason is that the masks upsets my mother she thinks I'm ill she looks worried and confused and doesn't know it is me.

Until last week recently this kind of visit has been fine with a visor and she has been happy.

But now new stand in manager, insists on full masks. There are some lovely people working at the home. There are also some very rude power happy people at the home.

If I have a certificate do you know if they still have the right to say no?

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@mydiamondmum There isn't a 'mask exempt certificate' for care home visitors. The government guidance states that in exceptional circumstances visitors could wear a visor rather than mask/face covering but this would be a result of an individual risk assessment. You could ask the stand in manager to undertake a risk assessment for your mother but not sure how successful this may be - my mum also doesn't seem to recognise me with a mask on but I'm not allowed to wear a visor now either so I sympathise with your situation. Here's the relevant guidance: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...icies-for-visiting-arrangements-in-care-homes

mydiamondmum

Nov 10, 2015
Thank you for that Louise7. From what I make of this so far and as discussed with Relatives and Residents association also that the guidance is more or less open to interpretation of the individual care homes and their individual policies. For example the care home down the road from my LO's CH does not require any face covering for garden visits with 2m distance enforced. One glimmer of hope in this up date though

'Guidance for visits out of a care home, for example to a family home, is being considered and we will provide an update shortly.

Someone pointed that out to me recently and I found that a bit of hopeful news.