1. Evie5831

    Evie5831 Registered User

    Nov 7, 2015
    Morning All,
    My Dad's decline in to dementia was very speedy, his profound deafness masking some of the early symptoms I have concluded. The problem we now have as a family is that we have no power of attorney or health care control. We have never found out what type of dementia he has as he never gave us permission to know anything and is no longer capable of informed consent.
    One day this week he was found collapsed behind his bedroom door at his care home, a paramedic was called who advised A and E. Dad said he didn't want to go so the paramedic left! Does anyone know of a way that we can become his advocates and gain information relating to this health and welfare. As a family we are considering getting Power of Attorney over our mother so does anyone know of a way where she can manage Dad's affairs and in turn we manage hers which would get us to the same place.
  2. joggyb

    joggyb Registered User

    Dec 1, 2014
    Your Dad and his symptoms and decline sounds very similar to my Dad - also profoundly deaf, and we, like you, looked back with hindsight and felt that we'd probably missed some early signs of Alzheimer's because we'd thought they were due to his deafness.

    I have PoA over my Dad's finances and property - but NOT his health and welfare (he declined too rapidly for us to get that sorted as well). To date, I've not had a problem being accepted as his advocate for his health and welfare. I've dealt with doctors, mental health teams, care homes, A&E depts. As his next-of-kin, you really shouldn't have too much of a problem, either, although I can't guarantee that. You just need to explain the situation to health professionals, and hope that they will work with you.

    Managing finances can be much harder. Although I have PoA over my Dad's, it's still been very difficult at times to get banks, building societies, and other organisations to accept the PoA. Some organisations are better than others. Without PoA, you are likely to have to jump through many more hoops. Other TPers on here who have managed without PoA will be better placed to advise you. Some may also have experience of trying to get to the situation you describe of obtaining PoA for your mum, and ultimately getting control over your dad's affairs that way.

    Generally, whether it be about your Dad's health or finances, you'll have to be prepared to be very, very determined, and to stick to your guns. Don't let anybody fob you off or ignore you.

    I do hope somebody else on here can help you more than I can. Good luck with it all.
  3. Pacucho

    Pacucho Registered User

    Dec 20, 2009
    Wembley, Middlesex

    As regards your mum managing your dad's affairs she can apply to the Court of Protection to become his Deputy. Here is a link to the Alzheimer's Society guidance on this: https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2478. For more advice on this I recommend you contact your local Alzheimer's Society branch or your local Carers Centre.
    Hope this helps.

  4. canary

    canary Registered User

    Feb 25, 2014
    South coast
    I am the Court of protection Deputy for mum and I thought i would mention that it only specifically covers finances. However, I must say that I have not had problems with health services once I say that I hold CoP deputyship. Mum has recently had calcium deposits removed from her cornea and also had (separately) a cataract removed. She has also had a fall and broken her arm.

    Edit to say that I had to go for CoP rather than POA as she had lost capacity to sign for POA.
  5. Amy in the US

    Amy in the US Registered User

    Feb 28, 2015
  6. jenniferpa

    jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

    Jun 27, 2006
    Unfortunately, that's not the way the system works. You could get an LPA for your mother, but that wouldn't give you more rights than you have presently to deal with your father's affairs. You (or someone) would need to apply to be a Deputy. Now you can apply to be a deputy for welfare, but they are rarely granted. But the financial deputyship might be a good idea if he has any savings/bank accounts/private pensions.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.