POwer of attorney

tuufulhundin

Jun 26, 2015
I have power of attorney for my mum who is in England, my brother didn't want to do it as he felt he couldn't cope with the stress of decision making as he has PTSD and other issues of which I am not to sure. He is on disability and has been for years.

Anyway, Myself and my family visited just this last couple of weeks and my brother was verbally abusive to me and picked fights on 2 occasions, one in front of our mum, and continued despite the fact that she was clearly getting agitated. He continued to verbally attack me even as I walked away to diffuse the situation, apparently that was wrong as well.

Now I am 4000 miles away, he is upsetting mum and got her thinking that I am not trustworthy.

He wants to get himself made power of attorney despite the fact he cant handle it, despite the fact is going to cost 500 pounds to do it.

His reasoning behind it is he says I have attacked him and now he doesn't trust me, despite that the 2 things are not mutually dependable.

we got into a row, but that doesnt mean I am not trustworthy.............I really dont know what to do for the best.

Can someone who has PTSD and is on disability due to mental health issues become a competent power of attorney.....?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
He cant get himself 'made an attorney'' it doesn't work like that. Your mother has to appoint him such. is she likely to do that, do you think.

Has your POA been actioned ( registered) and in regular use because she has lost capacity? if so, he wont stand a chance- she cant appoint a POA if she has lost capasity

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
However, the OP lives 4000 miles away. It could easily be argued that you cannot be an effective attorney if you are not available to deal with regular administration. How can this work long-term? It might be better for a solicitor to be the attorney, even though there is an obvious cost implication.