• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can now be found in our new area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

Power of attorney


Registered User
May 18, 2015
Hi my dad has recently been diagnosed with dementia can I become his power of eterney if so what do we do


Registered User
Jan 4, 2014
Hi, you can if your dad is still has mental capacity to consent. Otherwise you might need to go through the Court of Protection. It is explained on the Alzheimers' Society website. http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=154
I found all the forms a bit daunting (being seriously stressed probably didn't make it easier!) but once submitted it was straightforward if not a bit of a wait (2.5 months I think it was before the certificate came through).


Registered User
Mar 1, 2013
West Hertfordshire
In basic terms, yes you can as long as he consents a) to one being completed and 2) to you holding the reins.

You can't just 'do it'-he has to be part of it, and understand what he will be consenting for you to do.

if you have siblings its sometimes a good idea to a 'joint and several' one- Its not all down to you then. can have advantages and disadvantages, it just depends.


Registered User
May 21, 2014
Get a charity like Age UK to help you fill it in - I wouldn't pay a solicitor hundreds of pounds. The form isn't nearly as difficult as it looks.
Last edited:


Registered User
Aug 30, 2013
Get the forms from the Office of the Public Guardian. (For both health & Welfare, and Money & Property.)
Don't be afraid of the size of the package!
The instruction leaflets are bigger than the actual forms.
Answer one question at a time, then go to the next one.
Get his GP to be the "Certificate Provider"
Arrange for a signature witness. (There will be several signatures needed)
People to be told, should be folk who will not object to what has to be done.

Solicitors are really not needed, unless there are major business interests.



Registered User
Apr 13, 2015
Hi Shirley64, sorry to hear of your Dad's diagnosis but it is good that you are planning ahead as it does feel positive to "do" something.

I went to the Government site and completed both the Health & Welfare LPA and the Property and Financial LPA last year for my mum. I found the instructions very good and completing them on-line meant that some of the sections were automatically filled in which helped :) You don't have to complete both forms but my local GP practice can be a bit jobsworth so I wanted the H&W LPA in case I ran into any issues with them.

It wasn't cheap at £220 for 2 LPAs but it would have cost me a lot more to use a solicitor and it has given me peace of mind for the future.


Registered User
Feb 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
I haven't been on here in some time so forgive me if I ask a silly question... My aunt has agreed that she will draw up a power of attorney naming me as the attorney. She is still perfectly capable of this. I've been given conflicting information. On one hand I'm told its better to get a solicitor to complete the POA forms as this will ensure all is ok should anyone try to challenge them in future. On the other hand i'm told there is no real issue with us completing them ourselves. I live in Northern Ireland and my aunt lives in England so its a case of me flying over to get the paperwork sorted. For this reason i'd need to choose whatever option is likely to get us accurate results first time. Does anyone have any thoughts on this.


Registered User
Apr 6, 2011
North Manchester
There is nothing to stop you helping your Aunt making an LPA for England with you based in NI

It can be done online

This will produce documents for signature, you would have to send , or take, some of them over for your Aunt to sign, presumably the certificate provider would also be in England, somebody who has known her for more than two years as more than an acquaintance (attend same church, family friends for many years, go to bingo together once a week,...) is all you need.

Have a read through
to understand some of the usual pitfalls.