1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

1. sammyb

sammyb Registered User

Sep 19, 2007
    Nottingham
    As people will know my husband's AD has been early and rapid in its onset. 6 months ago he was pretty OK but by 6 weeks ago he was no longer able to understand his hospital care plan or sign it. I know nothing about the legalities of sorting out the financial side of things and, from my understanding, power of attorney needs to be a choice made by the person and then signed by them. I fear it is too late for this so what do I have to do please?

2. Cate

Cate Registered User

Jul 2, 2006
    Newport, Gwent
    Hi Sammy

If you have one, talk to your family solicitor, or a solicitor who knows you and hubby and who would agree that this is what you would both want. It may not be too late, and I hope it isnt, it will make life easier for you in the long term, try and get this sorted asap.

Best wishes.

Cate

3. Devonmaid

Devonmaid Registered User

Sep 23, 2007
    Dartmoor Devon
    Hello Sammy, if you cant get to a solicitor, try and see or telephone the Citizens Advice . They are often very helpful in these situations , good luck
    love Kate

4. Norman

Norman Registered User

Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    Sammy
    telephone the Alzhemer's helpline.

The helpline is usually open from 8.30am to 6.30pm Monday to Friday.

The number to dial is 0845 300 0336

Norman