Power of Attorney

Sunbrd

Jan 10, 2015
Hello;

Can anyone point me in the direction of help in getting a power of attorney? My mother has dememtia and has told us that she does not trust us. She has given power of attorney to her CPA and his wife. I do not know if he would believe me if I told him my mother's mental condition. We can not get any information from her doctor because she has refused to grant permission for this. We are at a loss has to how to get control of a very bad situation. She has told us there is nothing wrong with her mind and she will take care of herself.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
What's a CPA? Were you notified of their applications?
I am afraid if your mother has given LPA to someone else and does not want to give it to you, there is little you can do unless you suspect she didn't have capacity when she did so or there was foul play involved, in which case I guess you can speak to the Office of the Public Guardian.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

I wonder - are you in the UK or the US? You mention a CPA and that seems to be an American thing.

If that's the case, I'm not sure anyone here would be able to advise you, particularly as each state has its own system.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
In Australia CPA stands for Chartered Public Accountant and would assume that it is a simiilar thing USA. It is a sort of registration thing but that doesn't mean that they are any more trustworthy.