1. Áine

    Áine Registered User

    Just wanting to sound off about solicitors costs. He's charged £250 to prepare power of atttorney for dad. I thought that was a bit steep, but now I realise that he's going to charge another £250 to prepare papers to register it with court of protection, and another £120 to actually register it! Wow ........ I think I chose the wrong profession :eek:
  2. KaC

    KaC Registered User

    Feb 26, 2006
    #2 KaC, Apr 4, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
    Hi Áine

    when i got an epa for my dad it cost about £50 which was the the solicitors flat fee for preparing an epa
    I am not sure if that is different to a power of attorney I thought you had to get an epa first then register it to become an pa but i knew there was a further fee to register i am not sure but i think you can register it yourself
    a friend gave me a website address http://www.guardianship.gov.uk/[/URL]
    where you can order pulications etc
    I got a booklet ' enduring power of attorney , a guide to making an enduring power of attorney'
    hope this is helpful
  3. ElaineMaul

    ElaineMaul Registered User

    Jan 29, 2005
    Hi Aine,
    You definately can do it all yourself! I did the initial forms myself for both my Mum and Dad after carefully reading through the very helpful documents on the website Karen mentioned. I haven't yet had to do the next step, but it doesn't look too difficult.
    Also, I had a very small query about the intial form (and most certainly didn't want to get it wrong) ........... their help line is very helpful!
    Use your money to treat your Dad! :D
  4. twink

    twink Registered User

    Oct 28, 2005
    Cambridgeshire UK

    I received the EPA two days ago. I also received a letter asking for a copy of a bank statement 'to help us to decide on waiving the fee'. I sent that off yesterday. We haven't any savings as when my husband finished work almost 4 years ago when he was 51 years old, we lived our our small amount of savings before having to apply for benefit. We live on £148pw benefit now so I hope we don't have to pay hundreds of pounds!!!

  5. bernie

    bernie Registered User

    Jul 28, 2005
    south london
    an enduring power of attorney is a more powerful document then a power of attorney. an enduring power of attorney remains valid even if somebody becomes mentally incapacitated, it endures.

    a power of attorney is normally a temporary document eg 6 months whilst somebody is out of the country.

    the actual epa document is a standard stationary item, and with a little research it is possible to do it yourself.
  6. Michael E

    Michael E Registered User

    Apr 14, 2005
    Ronda Spain
    I just did the entire thing from here in France - the government help line and the advice booklet are excellent.

    Anybody who can read and write can fill out and register an enduring power of Attorney. Solicitors charging hundreds of pounds to do such a simple task should be ashamed of themselves. They are exploiting the vulnerable. Normans fact sheet provides the link to this excellent, friendly and understanding government department.
  7. noelphobic

    noelphobic Registered User

    Feb 24, 2006
    I always imagined that to be an oxymoron! :D
  8. Michael E

    Michael E Registered User

    Apr 14, 2005
    Ronda Spain
    What does that mean???

    Actually I have been amazed by the helpfulness of Land Registry- I wanted to put some properties I own in Monique's name as well as mine in case I went toes up first - Solicitors wanted hundreds of pounds!!! The relevant department on the phone told me what form I needed - how to fill it out and sent me the form...... Total cost £35 Ditto Inland Revenue for Monique when she worked and the Power of Attorney people.... All these departments talk simple English, are friendly and helpful...I suppose it depends on who is heading up - running - these departments..... Not every thing is bad in the UK!!

    I confess I class solicitors along with Estate Agents and 2nd hand car sales men! Basically leaches on society making no creative input what so ever....

    OK I am a card carrying socialist and think the government does a much better job than that hateful woman but of course there are problems. I suspect NICE is so tight arsed and PC that it fails to deliver a good service - but then the medical fund is not unlimited - although at the moment I am pretty sure that French medical services are better - but at the end of the interview today with the neurologist for Monique I will hand the guy a cheque for £60 - to be fair most of it will find its way back into my account in a couple of weeks.

  9. carolmillar

    carolmillar Registered User

    May 4, 2005
    Tyne & Wear
    Registering an EPA

    Just thought I would add my comments to those already mentioned. I did not use a solicitor when we made out the EPA and when the time came to register it with the Court of Protection (November last year) I found it a very simple process.

    I went to the website for the public guardianship office http://www.guardianship.gov.uk/theservice/enduringpower.htm and from here I got all the info I needed.

    They kept me informed during the process and reminded me of my duty to keep accounts of any dealings with the donor's affairs etc. They can ask you to provide accounts at any time so make sure you document everything and keep receipts.

    Once registered they return the original EPA to your stamped by the Court of Protection.

    The only thing that concerns me is that I only have one copy of the registered EPA and like me you will probably have to send it off to various organisations in order to manage your relatives affairs i.e. Inland Revenue, Dept for Work and Pensions, bank, building society etc. Most organisations won't accept a photo copy although they may accept a copy if it is certified by someone such as a solicitor (but of course they'll charge a fee for this). So make sure you send it recorded delivery.

    So far I've managed to work with the one copy although one organisation I sent it too returned it in the normal post!!

    Good luck
  10. noelphobic

    noelphobic Registered User

    Feb 24, 2006
    An oxymoron combines two terms that are normally contradictory:
    real nightmare; living death; educated guess; plastic flowers
  11. Michael E

    Michael E Registered User

    Apr 14, 2005
    Ronda Spain

    Thank you. Thought it was something like that - will use it regulaly in the cafe over a pernod!
  12. dmc

    dmc Registered User

    Mar 13, 2006

    just wondering is " caring social services " a oxymoron
    or just bloody morons:mad:
  13. Áine

    Áine Registered User

    :D ........ oh dear, bad day huh? :rolleyes:
  14. dmc

    dmc Registered User

    Mar 13, 2006
    hi Aine

    you could say that!!

    my head gaskets gone on my car:eek: and im afraid everyones in the firing line!! today its the social services tomrrow who knows :)
  15. Áine

    Áine Registered User

    um ....... hiding under desk and anticipating the worst ;)
  16. dmc

    dmc Registered User

    Mar 13, 2006

    Im sure once the tablets start to work i'll be just fine:)
  17. Amy

    Amy Registered User

    Jan 4, 2006
    Hiya asone,
    At the start of this thread you will find details about how to download forms for POA. As you will see others have done it successfully, so there are people to ask for assistance.
    Love Helen
  18. asone

    asone Registered User

    Jul 21, 2006
    enduring power of attorney

    Hi Helen, have just been to link and saved the forms. Next step is getting mum organised. Thank you.
  19. SkyHigh

    SkyHigh Registered User

    Apr 17, 2006

    I really don't know too much about it, except that my father in law died earlier this week, and with him having been primary carer to my mother in law (who was diagnosed with AD in Nov 05), we decided to contact our local Alzheimers Society branch. Although dad had already signed all paperwork relating to us having Power of Attorney (he had been ill for some time), we would still need to register with the Court of Protection.
    the wonderful lady that I spoke to at the Alz Soc. branch, said that you can definately do it yourself, but if you didn't feel confident in doing so - they could help you with it all - you should call your local branch.

    Can I just say, that with absolutely no help from Social Services at all (and I mean - they don't even call me back!), the Alzheimers Society have been absolutely wonderful.

    We were going through dad's paperwork earlier yesterday, and realised that he had for some time made a generous monthly contribution to the charity. I'm only sorry that whilst the banks wade through their own red tape over the next few weeks (freezing assests, bank accounts etc), that this fantastically worthwhile charity, will not be receiving his contributions. we will undoubtedly carry on this contribution once the painstaking closure of his estate is complete.

    Thank you Alzheimers Society, and all of you TP users!


Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.