power of attorney


Registered User
Feb 28, 2005
west mids
Hiya, I tried to apply for pension credit for my mum yesterday, and although i am her appointee, I was informed by the benefits agency that I must apply for power of attorney to take the claim forward. Ive received an info pack from Age Concern re power of attorney and enduring power of attorney, and frankly Im baffled!
Can anybody whos already done this , please explain the process to me, and is there a solicitors cost involved?
Many thanx Ally x


Registered User
Jul 2, 2005
Assuming your mum is sufficiently aware to be able to consent to your setting up power or attorney, it is relatively simple. I have set up an enduring power of attorney for my husband, which can the activated as and when it is thought necessary. I and my stepson are both able to administer this, jointly or separately. At the same time, I did one for myself, which made it all seem more like a sensible process for both of us than actively planning for my husband's incapacity.

We did it through a solicitor, and it cost around £250.

If your mum is unable to make a considered decision of any sort, it is far more complicated, I understand.


Registered User
Jan 31, 2004
near London
The Enduring Power of Attorney paperwork is actually very simple and it is not necessary to have a solicitor involved - though you might wish to, in order to get the complete ring of confidence.... obviously not good to have it rejected at some stage because something was omitted.

Check out http://www.guardianship.gov.uk/theservice/enduringpower.htm

They have an excellent help line and you can ask them any questions at all about setting up an EPA.