Power of attorney

April26

May 24, 2022
I need some advice! My nana was diagnosed with dementia over two years ago. She recently has gotten very bad. She quit taking her medicine and thinks me and my mama are trying to poison her. She won’t accept any food we bring her. She has started wandering around, goin across the main highway trying to go in other ppls houses. Gets into random ppls cars. She took off walking the other day and we called the cops because she runs from us and tells us to leave her alone. When the cop got to her she told him she was goin to a eye doctor. Please help we don’t know what eles to do. We had her picked up and evaluated and they realesed her and said she was fine. We went to the court house to see if the judge could order her to be picked up and taken to a mental facility because they had a bed for her and said they could get her back on her meds. But the judge wouldn’t help at all.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
It looks as if you are in the USA as you write in American English. If so you need American advice on the legal issues. Few of us here know much about the law in the USA.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @April26 , and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. Though this is a British site we have members from all over the world, as dementia doesn’t know any national borders.
I’m sorry the authorities haven’t been very helpful. It might be worth keeping a diary of things that happen so you have something to refer to next time this happens. Is there anyway you could persuade her to move to assisted living?
I’m sure people who know more about procedures in the USA will be along shortly, but in the meantime do have a look around this very friendly and supportive site.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @April26.

I’m sorry you’re facing these difficulties. Although you are in USA you will find lots of support and understanding on this forum.

For anything specific to USA you might find these sites useful-

April26

May 24, 2022
Hi @April26 , and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. Though this is a British site we have members from all over the world, as dementia doesn’t know any national borders.
I’m sorry the authorities haven’t been very helpful. It might be worth keeping a diary of things that happen so you have something to refer to next time this happens. Is there anyway you could persuade her to move to assisted living?
I’m sure people who know more about procedures in the USA will be along shortly, but in the meantime do have a look around this very friendly and supportive site.
Thank you. I wish I could persuade her but she wont ever open the door when I come to her house she tries to hide from me then tells me to leave because it tried to poison her.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB2CAN