Power of attorney

Beejayt

Aug 11, 2021
My wifes lucidity has deteriorated very quickly and I don’t think she would understand the questions.Are there any alternatives.?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
You could take out deputyship, there are more details here
www.gov.uk/become-deputy
It is more complicated and expensive that POA, but doable. My sister in law has just done it for her mother and it took a couple of months to get sorted. It might not be too late to organise POA if you think you wife would understand the questions in the moment, even if she wouldn't later on.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
My wifes lucidity has deteriorated very quickly and I don’t think she would understand the questions.Are there any alternatives.?
Impossible to know as a remote commentator but she doesn't behave to fill in the form herself. Does she have the ability to understand what s PoAcis if it is carefully explained to her., and to weigh up her choices (e.g. she has the choice to appoint someone else). Does she have good days when she might understand fully? All may not be lost, but if you have missed the boat, Deputyship is the way to go.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Beejayt
a warm welcome to DTP
the questions don't have to be worded as they appear on the formal documentation ... they can be put in layman's terms

as long as all involved honestly believe that your wife understands and agrees at the moment of signing, then you can go ahead with the LPAs

so you can fill in the forms online with your wife's choice of Attorneys and then present the documents for signing over a cuppa and cake with all those concerned ... no need for any high pressure formalities

otherwise, it's time to apply to be her Deputy for finances/property

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
then present the documents for signing over a cuppa and cake with all those concerned ... no need for any high pressure formalities
If all the advice in this forum to eat cake were followed bakeries would be overwhelmed with work and all persons with dementia would be very fat!

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan