Power of Attorney

TriciaUK

Oct 31, 2020
Mum is in her 90's, owns her house and is worried about losing her ability to cope. I live closest so visit/help out more than my other siblings but, I would not be comfortable being solely appointed. My sister is happy to help so the ideal solution would be for us both to be appointed so we would be in a position to help and make decisions together for mum if needed.

Would a Power of Attorney be appropriate in this case or are there other options?

I am hoping there might be other people here who have gone through this process and could give me some advice about the process and how to go about it.

Thank you.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I would advise you to get the POA organised as soon as possible. It really does make life easier. My Mum and Dad's doctor witnessed theirs and it made arranging things when Mum developed dementia and went to live in a CH when Dad died so much easier. I would also check whether your Mum has Attendance allowance and if not organise that at the same time. Best wishes Susan

TriciaUK

Oct 31, 2020
Hi Susan. Thank you for replying.

Mum has mobility problems and gets attendance allowance and has two lovely carers who help out. Mum copes at the minute so I am thinking ahead, it seems sensible to discuss it with my sister now.

Did you organise the POA yourself or did you need a solicitor?

hooperswan

Dec 22, 2016
As Susan says,get it done asap,it will make life easier,and will save complications with the banks if mum becomes unable to handle her own finances

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @TriciaUK I would get power of attorney sorted as soon as possible for both finance and health and welfare. It will make things much easier in the future. Your sister and you can both be attorneys jointly and severally, which means you can each make decisions on your own if needed. You can also add others as deputies in case one of you can no longer carry out your duties.
My brother and I are attorneys for my mother. I do most of the hands on stuff, mainly as my brother has been very ill, but it is good to have his support and agreement when making decisions about our mum’s care.

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Hi Susan. Thank you for replying.

Mum has mobility problems and gets attendance allowance and has two lovely carers who help out. Mum copes at the minute so I am thinking ahead, it seems sensible to discuss it with my sister now.

Did you organise the POA yourself or did you need a solicitor?
I filled in the forms myself. I didn't find them difficult. You need someone to witness them. We made an appointment with M and D's GP. She asked them if they wanted to go ahead and they said yes so she signed the paperwork. She charged £35 each. Then you should send them off to be registered straight away.
Glad to hear your Mum is doing so well.
Best wishes Susan

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I filled in the forms myself. I didn't find them difficult. You need someone to witness them. We made an appointment with M and D's GP. She asked them if they wanted to go ahead and they said yes so she signed the paperwork. She charged £35 each. Then you should send them off to be registered straight away.
Glad to hear your Mum is doing so well.
Best wishes Susan
Unless it's changed since we did it, you don't need a doctor to certify. This can be a friend or neighbour who has known your Mum for 2 years (might be 3?). You and any other attorneys then need to get your signatures witnessed, again friends or neighbours. I would suggest getting certified copies done too. You can either do this yourself - specific form of words and Mum's signature on each page (tiresome, but not difficult) - or get a solicitor to do this bit. You can then send the certified copies to banks etc., and keep the precious original. It takes about 6 weeks. Not difficult, and will make so life so much easier in the future.