Power of attorney

Cablepuller

May 18, 2018
Hi
My mum had Alzheimer's for 9 years.Sadly she passed away on the 21st of April this year. What she was first diagnosed, we the family tried to care for her at first but in the end we had to find a care home for her. Before she moved into a home my elder brother applied for power of attorney, he was against her going into a home, we all agreed to him taking control of my mum's finances.
As soon as he was given control he stop all contact with the rest of us we were only able to communicate with him through the home.
The question I want ask is, was he supposed to keeps records and receipts of the financial side of things and also, although I know the power or attorney has ended, can I challenge him to show the rest of the family any records he may have.

Thanks

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi
My mum had Alzheimer's for 9 years.Sadly she passed away on the 21st of April this year. What she was first diagnosed, we the family tried to care for her at first but in the end we had to find a care home for her. Before she moved into a home my elder brother applied for power of attorney, he was against her going into a home, we all agreed to him taking control of my mum's finances.
As soon as he was given control he stop all contact with the rest of us we were only able to communicate with him through the home.
The question I want ask is, was he supposed to keeps records and receipts of the financial side of things and also, although I know the power or attorney has ended, can I challenge him to show the rest of the family any records he may have.

Thanks
Hello and welcome to TP
In the hope that it helps, here's a link to the AS Factsheet on POA
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/sites...loads/factsheet_lasting_power_of_attorney.pdf

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im slightly confused @Cablepuller
You say that your brother applied for POA just before your mum moved into a home, so I am thinking that she would not have capacity to sign a POA at this point. If this is correct, did he then register a POA that had been previously signed by your mum, or did he actually apply to the Court of Protection for deputyship?

The reason that I am asking this is because POA and COP deputyship are somewhat different. If it is COP deputyship then he would have to make a financial report back to the Office of Public Guardians every year on the anniversary of being made deputy and he would have to account for every penny that had been spent - believe me, I had to do it for my mum.
If it was a POA, then you dont have to do this.

I am assuming that there is concern about how your brother has managed your mums finances, but Im afraid I dont know what happens now that your mum has passed away.