Power of attorney query

Pipeth

Jan 13, 2018
Northamptonshire
Hello all, haven’t posted on here for sometime but visit regularly. I need to use the power of attorney for the first time to cancel my husbands phone contract, not a straight forward procedure if you have no idea what the password is. I should have done is ages ago, my query is do I send a copy of the whole document to virgin media? Also who counts as an other authorised person who can certify?

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
This sounds like a half-finished POA. Certification is part of the process of drawing up the POA. The certifier can be any unrelated person who has known him for 2 years or it can be a professional. The Office of the Public Guardian website explains the process. To avoid mistakes it is best to get all the signatures on the same day as it will be rejected if you get it signed in the wrong order.
Once it has been signed and witnessed including by the certified you must register it with the OPG. This will cost £82 and takes several weeks.
When you get the registered copy back you will need certified copies. A solicitor can make these for you for a fee. Shop around for prices for this. You will need several copies for the different organisations. There is now an electronic system for giving organisations z code to let them confirm online that your PoA is valid but some organisations won't accept this and insist on seeing a certified paper copy.
Now, at last, you can contact the telephone company and present them with the POA and give them instructions!

Pipeth

Jan 13, 2018
Northamptonshire
This sounds like a half-finished POA. Certification is part of the process of drawing up the POA. The certifier can be any unrelated person who has known him for 2 years or it can be a professional. The Office of the Public Guardian website explains the process. To avoid mistakes it is best to get all the signatures on the same day as it will be rejected if you get it signed in the wrong order.
Once it has been signed and witnessed including by the certified you must register it with the OPG. This will cost £82 and takes several weeks.
When you get the registered copy back you will need certified copies. A solicitor can make these for you for a fee. Shop around for prices for this. You will need several copies for the different organisations. There is now an electronic system for giving organisations z code to let them confirm online that your PoA is valid but some organisations won't accept this and insist on seeing a certified paper copy.
Now, at last, you can contact the telephone company and present them with the POA and give them instructions!
Thank you for your reply, we have The original registered certified copy. I now understand copies of the full document must be sent, are certified copies generally returned by businesses?

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Good companies will return your documents but a few may not. It is best to remind them that you want it back!!! Glad you are more advanced than I thought.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Make sure the original forms with the raised OPG stamp on the bottom does not leave your sight! Only post extra copies you make which need to be stamped using particular wording and signed by a solicitor.

When I sorted out my mums energy and phone bills, her provider only needed a copy of page 1 and the page with my signature as attorney - and they accepted an email copy. It's always worth phoning to ask what documentation you need.

Her bank did want to see the original so I made an appointment and took it in, them checked that every page had been returned after it had been photocopied.

I have scanned the forms certified by a solicitor onto my computer so I can print more copies and also send them electronically - so much easier!

Pipeth

Jan 13, 2018
Northamptonshire
Good companies will return your documents but a few may not. It is best to remind them that you want it back!!! Glad you are more advanced than I thought.
Thank you for your full explanation and support. I feel confident now to get on with dealing with the bank to.

Pipeth

Jan 13, 2018
Northamptonshire
Make sure the original forms with the raised OPG stamp on the bottom does not leave your sight! Only post extra copies you make which need to be stamped using particular wording and signed by a solicitor.

When I sorted out my mums energy and phone bills, her provider only needed a copy of page 1 and the page with my signature as attorney - and they accepted an email copy. It's always worth phoning to ask what documentation you need.

Her bank did want to see the original so I made an appointment and took it in, them checked that every page had been returned after it had been photocopied.

I have scanned the forms certified by a solicitor onto my computer so I can print more copies and also send them electronically - so much easier!
I will certainly check in future want form of certification anyone needs. Thank you for the advice, I will be scanning and use email if acceptable in the future.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
The office of the public guardian are now putting new POA on-line so that you don't have to send off paper copies, you send companies a code instead so they can see on-line that you have permission to act for your mother. The website says this is only for POAs registered since July 17th this year. However when I needed to contact the DWP and register mum's POA, which was taken out in 2017, they wanted a code not a paper copy. It took a while to get through to the OPG but they were very helpful when I did get to talk to someone and the whole things got sorted with a few more phone calls. Their phone number is 0300 456 0300 to see if you can set one up, it might be they are only doing that for government departments.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If sending any document you want returning it's worth attaching a 'post it' saying 'to be returned, do not shred'. Many organisations scan and then shred all documents on receipt.
Never send the original LPA.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
The office of the public guardian are now putting new POA on-line so that you don't have to send off paper copies, you send companies a code instead so they can see on-line that you have permission to act for your mother. The website says this is only for POAs registered since July 17th this year. However when I needed to contact the DWP and register mum's POA, which was taken out in 2017, they wanted a code not a paper copy. It took a while to get through to the OPG but they were very helpful when I did get to talk to someone and the whole things got sorted with a few more phone calls. Their phone number is 0300 456 0300 to see if you can set one up, it might be they are only doing that for government departments.
Unfortunately it was my recent experience that most financial institutions still demanded paper copies and declined the offer of a code. Mostly they did not even know about the new electronic system!

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London

Sorry to bear bad news but you can't do that. To be valid the copies have to be certified by a solicitor or the donor on every page in ink. Photocopied or scanned signatures are not valid.

I did find that one financial institution accepted an uploaded PDF, so they waived the rules, but only one.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Virgin just took my word for i
Sorry to bear bad news but you can't do that. To be valid the copies have to be certified by a solicitor or the donor on every page in ink. Photocopied or scanned signatures are not valid.

I did find that one financial institution accepted an uploaded PDF, so they waived the rules, but only one.
That's a shame! Although a scanned and emailed copy was accepted by the Social Worker for Mums financial assessment and also by her energy and phone company.. And a paper copy which I printed has also been used but I can't remember who by.

I'll just plead ignorance!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1